OXFORD -- In the final match of its four-match road trip, the BYU women's tennis team lost to 7th-ranked Mississippi 6-0 Tuesday at the Women's Sports Complex in Oxford, Miss.
Although the Cougars failed to win a match on the day, four of the six matches went three sets before being won by the Lady Rebels.
In number one singles Julie DeRoo of Mississippi, ranked 30th in the nation, defeated 22nd-ranked senior Eline Chiew, 6-2, 6-7, 6-5. In number two singles Jodi Richardson lost to Celeste Frey, ranked No. 6 in the country, 6-2, 6-0. Mississippi's Ivona Mihailova, ranked No. 14 in the nation, defeated freshman Liza Khoudoiarova 6-3, 6-4.
There were no doubles matches played in Tuesday's match.
The loss brings the Cougars' record on the road trip to 1-3. They suffered earlier losses to Virginia Commonwealth and Minnesota before defeating Memphis Monday.
The Cougars will next play Feb. 11 in Provo against UNLV. That match starts at 3 p.m.
1. DeRoo (UM) def. Chiew, 6-2, 6-7, 6-5
2. Frey (UM) def. Richardson, 6-2, 6-0
3. Mihailova (UM) def. Khoudoiarova, 6-3, 6-4
4. Eberle (UM) def. Reynolds, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Radu (UM) def. Ferguson, 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Ignatieva (UM) def. Kelly, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4