BLOOMINGTON -- After losing its first dual match of the season to Virginia Commonwealth in the opening round of the Minnesota Court Classic Friday, the BYU women's tennis team lost to Minnesota in the consolation round 4-3 Saturday.
Winning two of the singles matches and two of the doubles matches wasn't enough for the Cougars, who drop to 0-2 in team dual play on the season. BYU's Jodi Richardson defeated Kim Simonsen 6-3, 6-1 in number two doubles while Tara Ferguson won 7-5, 6-4 over Tammy Wang in number five singles to give the Cougars their only two single-match victories.
The Cougars did earn the doubles point by winning two of the three doubles matches including at number one. The team of Eline Chiew and Richardson defeated Nora Sauska and Sandra Olsen of Minnesota 8-5 in number one doubles.
In number two doubles, freshmen Liza Khoudoiarova and Dominique Reynolds defeated Simonsen and Michaela Havelkova 8-4.
Pepperdine won the tournament, defeating Virginia Commonwealth 4-3 in the championship round. The Cougars will next travel to Memphis to take on the Tigers Monday.
1. Sauska (UM) def. Chiew, 6-3, 6-4
2. Richardson (BYU) def. Simonsen, 6-3, 6-1
3. Olsen (UM) def. Khoudoiarova, 6-2, 6-4
4. Thomas (UM) def. Reynolds, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
5. Ferguson (BYU) def. Wang, 7-5, 6-4
6. Havelkova (UM) def. Oswald, 6-0, 7-5
1. Chiew/Richardson (BYU) def. Sauska/Olsen, 8-5
2. Khoudoiarova/Reynolds (BYU) def. Simonsen/Hevelkova, 8-4
3. Thomas/Howard (UM) def. Ferguson/Oswald, 8-3