Provo, UT (Apr. 25, 2002) In the final dual match of the day at this year's MWC Women's Tennis Championships, it was hosts BYU, ranked 44th nationally, battling instate rival Utah.
The Cougars picked up the early lead by winning the doubles point from wins at the number one and two positions. Junior Lisa Khoudoiarova came off the court first after defeating Utah's Allison Hansen in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0 to give BYU a 2-0 advantage. Dominique Reynolds followed with her straight sets win over Linn Ronnberg at the number two singles spot, then it was Brooke Beverley who had to play three sets to eventually beat Utah's Cassie Kasteler 6-0, 3-6, 6-3 at the number four singles position. The Cougars fifth point in the match came at number three singles where freshman Rebecca Pike defeated the Utes Ellen Svensson 6-2, 6-4 to clinch the victory.
MWC regular season champion San Diego State had no difficulty defeating Wyoming 5-0 to advance to the other semifinal match at this year's MWC Women's Tennis Championships.
The No. 28 ranked Aztecs took control of the dual match early winning the doubles point with victories at the number two and three positions. SDSU then dominated play in the singles portion of the match picking up wins at the number two position and then winning at the number four, five and six spots. All matches were won in straight sets.
Friday's semifinal action begins at 10 a.m. with a dual match between UNLV and New Mexico followed by the 2 p.m. meeting between BYU and SDSU. In the day's consolation round it will be CSU and Air Force in the early match, followed by Utah and Wyoming in the afternoon contest.
Top Seeded Teams Advance
No. 19 UNLV, the two seed in the championships, beat Colorado State 4-0 in the first of two early morning matches. The Rebels took the early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. In singles it was all UNLV as they won the next three singles matches in straight sets. First off the court was the Rebels Leentjie Oosthuizen from South Africa who defeated CSU's Dasha Zhurin 6-2, 6-3. Teammates Pauline Janus, the number one singles player and Gyorgui Zsiros playing in the number two position also picked up wins for UNLV.
In the second early morning match, it was No. 55 New Mexico defeating Air Force 4-1. The Air Force Falcons played extremely well in doubles play, surprising the ranked Lobos with the 1-0 advantage after winning at the number one and two doubles positions. New Mexico came back strong in singles play picking up wins at the number two, three, five and six positions for the final 4-1 win. The Lobos Rachel Hattley picked up her team's first point with a straight sets 6-2, 6-1 win over Air Force's Gina Black at the number five singles positions. Teammates Michelle Heidbrink, Courtney Choate and Sandy Lukowski came through in singles action to clinch New Mexico's victory.
The Rebels and Lobos will play each other in one of two early matches Friday, beginning at 10 a.m., on BYU's outdoor courts. In the consolation bracket, it will be CSU taking on AF.
-AGATE- BYU- 5 ; UU-0
1. Lu Oswald (BYU) Sheri Esrock (UU) DNF
2. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Linn Ronnberg (UU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Ellen Svensson (UU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Brooke Beverley (BYU) def. Cassie Kasteler (UU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-3
5. Lindsay Ferrell (BYU) Irini Kotoglou (UU) DNF
6. Lisa Khoudoiarova (BYU) def. Allison Hansen (UU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Beverley/Reynolds (BYU) def. Kotoglou/Hansen (UU) 8-0
2. Oswald/Ferrell (BYU) def. Svensson/Kasteler (UU) 8-6
3. Khoudoiarova/Pike (BYU) Ronnberg/Esrock (UU) DNF
-AGATE- SDSU-5; WY-0
1. Silvia Tornier (SDSU) Jenny Bowan (WY) DNF
2. Lindsey Hedberg (SDSU) def. Yuliani Santi (WY) 6-1, 6-1
3. Katta Karrento (SDSU) Jennifer Hancock (WY) DNF
4. Katalina Romero (SDSU) def. Pauline Del Monte (WY) 6-2, 6-2
5. Indra Erichsen (SDSU) def. Kati Gyulal (WY) 6-0, 6-2
6. Julie Ana Chidley (SDSU) def. Toni Terhaar (WY) 6-1, 6-1
1. Karrento/Romero (SDSU) Bowan/Hancock (WY) DNF
2. Erichsen/Tornier (SDSU) Santi/Del Monte (WY) 8-1
3. Headberg/Chidley (SDSU) Terhaar/Gyulal (WY) 8-1
1. Pauline Janus (UNLV) def. Sanja Hansson (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Gyorgui Zsiros (UNLV) def. Amanda Bartsz (CSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Agnieszka Abram (UNLV) Catherine Sullivan (CSU) DNF
4. Tracie Chong (UNLV) Bobbe Vasos (CSU) DNF
5. Leentjie Oosthuizen (UNLV) def. Dasha Zhurin (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Marianne Bakken (UNLV) Alexandra Paganetti (CUS) DNF
1. Janus/Abram (UNLV) def. Hyansson/Sullivan (CSU) 8-4
2. Bakken/Zsiros (UNLV) Bartz/Vasos (CSU) DNF
3. Chong/Oosthuizen (UNLV) def. Paganetti/Zhurn (CSU) 8-2
1. Tjasa Suvak (UNM) Brooke Parson (AF) DNF
2. Sany Lukowski (UNM) def. Laura Nigro (AF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Heather Shelby (AF) 6-1, 6-4
4. Tiffany Robertson (UNM) Kelli O'Bryant (AF) DNF
5. Rachel Hatley (UNM) def. Gina Black (AF) 6-2, 6-1
6. Courtney Choate (UNM) def. Ashley Gee (AF) 6-4, 6-1
1. Parsons/Nigro (AF) def. Lukowski/Robertson (UNM) 8-5
2. Shelby/Black (AF) def. Suvak/Hatley (UNM) 8-6
3. Gee/O'Bryant (UNM) def. Ruiz-Fabrega/Comtesse (AF)