No. 17 Olga Boultcheva won her fourth consecutive match against the Badgers. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
Madison, Wisc. (Feb. 24, 2006) -- The No. 20 BYU women's tennis team moved its season record to 7-3 with an impressive 7-0 win over No. 51 Wisconsin (3-6), Friday at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium. In singles, No. 17 Olga Boulytcheva got her ninth victory of the season, beating Nicole Beck 6-1, 6-2.
"The team looks good," coach Craig Manning said. "Everyone played well today."
Not only did the Cougars play well, they played near perfect tennis -- sweeping the six singles matches in straight sets. The only bump in the road for BYU came at No. 1 doubles, where Anastsia Sourkova and Jennifer Miccoli were edged out 8-6 by the No. 33 doubles duo of Caitlin Burke and Nicole Beck. The loss did little to hinder the Cougars, as BYU's other two doubles teams clinched the point with 8-3 wins.
The Cougars celebrated more than just the victory; as Jennifer Miccoli got her first singles win of the season, defeating Erin Jobe 7-6, 6-3. Miccoli made her first singles appearance last week against Kansas State, after sitting out the first eight matches because of an injury.
"Our chemistry is great, and we really focused on our performance today," Manning said. "We're playing well, but we're still looking for ways to improve."
BYU now travels to South Bend, Ind., to face No. 7 Notre Dame. The Irish have a perfect 7-0 record this season and showcase the second-ranked doubles team in the nation. The match begins at 11 a.m. CST.
Final Score: Brigham Young 7, Wisconsin 0
Wisconsin Badgers (3-6, 0-1 Big Ten)
Brigham Young (7-3, 0-0 Mountain West)
(1) No. 33 Caitlin Burke/Nicole Beck (WIS) def. Anastasia Sourkova/Jennifer Miccoli (BYU), 8-6
(2) Sofia Holden/Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Chelsea Nusslock/Liz Carpenter (WIS), 8-3
(3) Dolly Chang/Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Morgan Tuttle/Lexi Goldin (WIS), 8-3
(1) No. 17 Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Nicole Beck (WIS), 6-1, 6-2
(2) No. 98 Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Chelsea Nusslock (WIS), 6-2, 6-1
(3) Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def. Liz Carpenter (WIS), 6-4, 7-5
(4) Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Morgan Tuttle (WIS), 6-2, 6-0
(5) Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Lexi Goldin (WIS), 6-1, 6-1
(6) Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) def. Erin Jobe (WIS), 7-6, 6-3
FINISH ORDER Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 2, 5, 1, 4, 3, 6