Jocelyn Jensen recorded a singles win in the Cougars' 7-0 victory over Wyoming. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- Another conference foe tasted defeat at the hands of the No. 53 BYU women’s tennis team. The Cougars won the second of three weekend matches, a 7-0 sweep of Wyoming. With the win, the team improves to 9-6 on the season.
“The biggest thing we focused on Friday was focus,” BYU assistant coach Lauren Jones said. “We concentrated on playing our game.”
The Cougars swept the doubles matches for the second time in as many matches. Juniors Chie Hayasaka and Jocelyn Jensen started things out for BYU, dominating their opponents 8-0 on court three. Megan Price and Elle Carney clinched the point after an 8-4 win at the No. 1 position. McCall Jones and Liza Ezhova wrapped pairs play up with an 8-6 win on court two.
Carney notched the first singles point for BYU with a 6-0, 6-4 win on court four. Victories by Jones and Hayasaka gave the Cougars the necessary four points to clinch the match.
Price lost her first set before dominating 6-2 in the second and pulling out a win in the tiebreak, the freshman’s seventh consecutive victory. Ezhova and Jensen earned the last two wins for the team, keeping the Cougars undefeated in conference play.
“All of the players are doing the things they need to and doing them well,” Jones said.
The team will finish the weekend against Air Force Saturday. The match begins at 10 a.m. at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts, east of South Field. Admission is free. All BYU “Y Lot” parking lots are open to the public all day Saturday.
No. 53 BYU- 7
1. Carney/Price (BYU) def. Summerfield/Van Hollen (WYO) 8-4
2. Ezhova/Jones (BYU) def. Berger/Nelson (WYO) 8-6
3. Hayasaka/Jensen (BYU) def. Pass/Chaix (WYO) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #91M. Jones (BYU) def. S. Summerfield (WYO) 6-1, 6-3
2. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. R. Berger (WYO) 6-3, 6-3
3. M. Price (BYU) def. C. Van Hollen (WYO) 5-7, 6-2, 10-7
4. E. Carney (BYU) def. C. Chaix (WYO) 6-0, 6-4
5. L. Ezhova (BYU) def. J. Nelson (WYO) 6-2, 6-0
6. J. Jensen (BYU) def. C. Pass (WYO) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6