PROVO -- The BYU women's tennis team won its first match of the season Friday by beating Utah State 7-0. The Cougars were able to defeat the Aggies without dropping a single set.
"Everyone played really well today," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "We really hit out today and we were able to beat a great team."
With Lu Oswald out of the lineup with an injured right shoulder, Manning had to come up with some new doubles pairings and a different singles lineup.
Leeza Klempner of BYU stepped in at the No. 2 singles spot and was able to come away with an impressive 6-1, 6-1 victory over Carolyn Larsen. Freshman Olga Boulytcheva won her first match as a Cougar by beating Lindsey Bennion 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3 singles.
"I knew that we were playing well but I just didn't know how we were going to come out after all that happened this week with Lu," Manning said. "But we came out a really hit out today. Our goal this year is to prove to everyone that we have depth on this team. I think we were able to show that today."
The Cougars will next be in action next week when the host Weber St. on Friday, Feb. 7 at 3 p.m. and in-state rival Utah on Saturday, Feb. 8 at noon in Provo.
1. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) def. Pollock/Bennion (USU) 8-5
2. Schneider/MacFarlane (BYU) def. Larsen/Holly Anderson (USU) 8-1
3. Pike/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Smith/Hansen (USU) 8-0
1. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Caroline Pollock (USU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Leeza Klempner (BYU) def. Carolyn Larsen (USU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Lindsey Bennion (USU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Richelle Ferguson (USU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicole Schneider (BYU) def. Jill Smith (USU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Hadley MacFarlane (BYU) def. Andrea Hansen (USU) 6-3, 6-2