Freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon topped her Court 4 opponent to give BYU its lone point of the day. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
IRVINE, Calif. – Despite close matches, the BYU women’s tennis team fell to No. 56 University of California, Irvine, 6-1, on the road Saturday.
“We were right in this match,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We barely lost the doubles point with a tiebreaker on Court 1. Four of our girls were up at one point in singles. We were in a good position but we beat ourselves. We need to get a little more match tough. It was our opening weekend and we’re still learning a lot. The team is playing hard but we still have room to improve.”
The Cougars (0-2) held their ground in doubles competition against the ‘Eaters (2-2). Freshman Lisa Waldron and junior Aubrey Paul battled Stephanie Hammel and Marivick Mamiit to secure the first doubles win in favor of BYU, topping the competition 8-6.
UCI brought the doubles score to 1-1 after narrowly etching out sophomore Desiree Tran and freshman Morgan Anderson on Court 2, 9-7.
Knowing the No. 1 doubles position would decide the doubles point, senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon fought hard against Courtney Byron and Hannah Holladay, bringing the match to a tie 8-8 score. Despite tough play, Price and Sheehan-Dizon were unable to close the match out, falling, 9-8 (7-1).
Singles competition was just as fierce with three matches taken to three sets.
The ‘Eaters found themselves up 3-0 on the Cougars after Price and Anderson fell on Court 2 and 3, respectively.
Sheehan-Dizon closed the gap with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Mamiit on Court 4, giving BYU its first point of the day.
Paul pushed Kat Facey to a third set but went on to fall 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Facey’s victory at the No. 5 position secured the match win for UCI.
Waldron and Tran, despite pushing their matches to three sets, fell on Court 6 and 1, respectively.
The Cougars return home for their first home match of the season Friday against Denver.
No. 56 UCI: 6
1. Courtney Byron (UCI) vs. Desiree Tran (BYU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Megan Price (BYU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Marivick Mamiit (UCI), 6-4, 6-4
5. Kat Facey (UCI) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Hannah Holladay (UCI) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. C. Byron/H. Holladay (UCI) def. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU), 9-8 (7-1)
2. F. Goettsching/K. Smith (UCI) def. D. Tran/M. Anderson (BYU), 9-7
3. L. Wadron/A. Paul (BYU) def. S. Hammel/M. Mamiitt (UCI), 8-6
UCI (2-2); National ranking #56
Order of finish:
Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 1)