Lisa Waldron competed at the No. 3 doubles position and No. 6 singles position for BYU Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
HOUSTON –The BYU women’s tennis team fell 7-0 to No. 45 Rice University Thursday at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
The Owls struck quickly, collecting wins on all three courts to earn the doubles point. All three BYU duos fell 8-5 to their respective opponents. No. 36 Natalie Beazant and Dominique Harmath topped senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon on Court 1. At the No. 2 spot, freshman Morgan Anderson and junior Aubrey Paul dropped their match to Ana Guzman and Katie Gater. Rice closed things out in doubles by beating sophomore Desiree Tran and freshman Lisa Waldron.
The Owls carried their momentum into singles with No. 59 Beazant taking a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Tran on Court 1. Anderson followed with a 6-1, 6-2 loss on Court 3. The Owls clinched the match with Stephanie Nguyen’s straight-set win over Waldron, 6-1, 6-1.
The Cougars dropped the rest of their matches in straight sets for a final 7-0 score.
BYU will finish its three-match road trip to Texas Saturday against SMU at 3 p.m. CST.
BYU vs Rice
3/2/2012 at Houston, Texas
(Jake Hess Tennis Stadium)
#45 Rice 7, BYU 0
1. #59 Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Katie Gater (RICE) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Ana Guzman (RICE) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Stephanie Nguyen (RICE) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #36 N. Beazant/D. Harmath (RICE) def. Megan Price/Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 8-5
2. A. Guzman/K. Gater (RICE) def. Morgan Anderson/Aubrey Paul (BYU) 8-5
3. K. Anicete/S. Nguyen (RICE) def. Desiree Tran/Lisa Waldron (BYU) 8-5
Rice 8-3; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,6,2,5,4)