Anastasi Sourkova (above) and Jennifer Miccoli are now 8-3 in doubles. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The No. 19 BYU women's tennis team (8-4) made quick work of Portland (3-9) Friday night, jumping out to a quick 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point and cruising to a 7-0 defeat of the Pilots.
The Cougars made a few changes to their lineup in their contest. Olga Boulytcheva and Sofia Holden, who have played as a doubles duo for all but one match this season, split up for the match, swapping partners with Lauren Jones and Dolly Chang. Holden and Chang teamed-up on court No. 2, while Boulytcheva and Jones joined forces on court No. 3. The move worked for Coach Manning and the Cougars, as they swept cleanly through the doubles portion of the match.
"We were having some trouble in doubles, so we made some changes today," Manning said. "We really like the changes we made and doubles were a lot of fun."
BYU continued dominating in singles, winning every match in straight sets, and sophomore Jennifer Miccoli and Freshman Rana El Derwy each earned their second victories of the season.
The Cougars make their way to Oklahoma next week to face Oklahoma State on March 9 and Oklahoma on March 10. The matches will be played outside, tossing a new element into the mix. To prepare, Coach Manning said his team will be hitting a lot of over-heads in practice.
BYU 7 Portland 0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Sourkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Griffin/Kennel (UP) 8-1
2. Holden/ Chang (BYU) def. Soltysik/Leoni (UP) 8-1
3. Jones/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Gullikson/Tanzer (UP) 8-3
1. Olga Boukytcheva (BYU) def. Lindsey Griffin (UP) 6-0, 7-5
2. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Cristin Sammis (UP) 6-1, 6-2
3. Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def. Jenna Tanzer (UP) 7-6, 6-1
4, Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Katie Kennel (UP) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) def. Anna Gullickson (UP) 6-2, 6-0
6. Rana El Derwy (BYU) def. Laura Leoni (UP) 6-1, 6-1