(Photo by Jaren Wilkey)
LAS VEGAS - After experiencing its best start since 2006, the BYU women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season as it fell to No. 67 UNLV 5-2 at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
"We came out strong in doubles today and played confident," head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "But as a team we didn't execute as well in singles and UNLV took advantage."
Aubrey Paul and Desiree Tran got the first win of the day as they topped Iren Kotseva and Anett Ferenczi-Bako 8-2 on Court 3. The duo of Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Nicolette Tran left the doubles point up for grabs as they lost 8-3.
On Court 2, Morgan Anderson and Mackenna Maddox secured the doubles point for the Cougars with their 8-6 victory.
BYU kept its momentum in singles play as Nicolette Tran kept her unbeaten streak alive with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Ferenczi-Bako on Court 4.
"Nicolette [Tran] played great in singles today," Jones-Spencer said. "I think it was one of her best matches as a Cougar."
Although BYU started strong, they coudln't hold on to the lead. The Rebels won the next five straight singles matches to earn the overall victory.
The Cougars look to bounce back Saturday monring at 10 a.m. PST against Iowa State.
1. Batta/Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Sheehan-Dizon/N. Tran (BYU) 8-3
2. Anderson/Maddox (BYU) def. Erasmus/Josifoska (UNLV) 8-6
3. Paul/D. Tran (BYU) def. Kotseva/Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #19 Aleksandra Josifoska (UNLV) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lucia Batta (UNLV) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nives Pavlovic (UNLV) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Nicolette Tran (BYU) def. Anett Ferenczi-Bako (UNLV) 6-2, 6-2
5. Janine Erasmus (UNLV) def. Mackenna Maddox (BYU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Iren Kotseva (UNLV) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6