Senior Anastasia Surkova helped lead her team to a 7-0 win over Utah State on Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The BYU women's tennis team pulled out a 7-0 sweep over in-state rival Utah State on Friday. With the win the Cougars improve to 2-1 on the season.
"It was good for us to get out there and just work through some things," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "We played really well in both singles and doubles today and we're excited to play tomorrow."
The Cougars came out strong from the start, winning all three doubles matches. Seniors Anastasia Surkova and Jennifer Miccoli competed together for the first time since the 2007 season, easily defeating the Utah State duo of Brianna Harris and Bridgette Strickland (8-2).
Surkova continued her success, scoring BYU's first singles point after a 6-0, 6-0 victory against Hailey Swenson. The remaining Cougar players quickly followed suit, as Elizaveta Ezhova, Kristina Doerr, Chie Hayasaka, Elle Carney and Jocelyn Jensen all came away victorious.
The Cougars have a quick turnaround, as they prepare to face a tough No. 53 Arkansas team tomorrow, which includes the country's No.1 ranked singles player, Aurelija Miseviciute.
"We just need to focus a little bit in preparation for tomorrow," said Manning. "Focus is the biggest thing for us. If we can concentrate tomorrow that would be good."
The match is set to begin at noon at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts, followed by a 5:30 p.m. match between the BYU men's tennis team and Eastern Washington. Admission to both matches is free and all parking is open to the public on Saturdays.
No. 28 BYU-7
1. Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Harris/Strickland (USU), 8-2
2. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Swenson/Watts (USU), 8-1
3. Ezhova/Hayasaka (BYU) def. AJohnson/Perry (USU), 8-0
1. K. Doerr (BYU) def. B. Harris (USU), 6-4, 6-0
2. A. Surkova (BYU) def. H. Swenson (USU), 6-0, 6-0
3. E. Ezhova (BYU) def. B. Strickland (USU), 6-1, 6-0
4. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. B. Watts (USU), 6-3, 6-2
5. E. Carney (BYU) def. T. Perry (USU), 6-0, 6-0
6. J. Jensen (BYU) def. J. Johnson (USU), 6-1, 6-0