Sophomore Kristina Doerr forced the Cougars' only three-set match on Friday against the Golden Bears. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
BERKELEY -- The No. 37 BYU women's tennis team was swept 7-0 in its loss to No. 7 California on Friday. The Golden Bears won all nine of their matches and recorded the team's fifth straight win as the Cougars fell to 8-7 on the season.
Cal quickly claimed the doubles point after back-to-back 8-3 wins on courts two and three, handing the No. 60-ranked duo of Dolly Chang and Kristina Doerr its first loss on the season. The final doubles match was a clash of ranked opponents, as No. 35 Anastasia Surkova and Jennifer Miccoli faced off against No. 45 Susie Babos and Stephanie Kusano. The BYU pair lost its match in an 8-7(4) tiebreaker.
In singles play, No. 64 Claire Ilcinkas defeated Elizaveta Ezhova 6-1, 6-0 at the fifth position. Chie Hayasaka was the next Cougar to fall, followed by No. 86 Anastasia Surkova (6-2, 6-3), ensuring Cal's victory.
With the match decided, Elle Carney dropped her match No. 89 Bojana Bobusic. BYU's No. 80 Kristina Doerr forced the only three-set match of the day on the second court, against No. 16 Marina Cossou, but ended up losing 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(5). Dolly Chang fell 6-3, 6-4, clinching the sweep for the Bears.
Tomorrow the Cougars face another ranked opponent as they take on No. 16 Fresno State. The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. PT.
No. 7 California def. No. 37 BYU, 7-0
Mar. 21, 2008 - Berkeley, Calif.
1. No. 45 Babos/Kusano (CAL) def. No. 35 Miccoli/Surkova (BYU) 8-7(4)
2. Cossou/Ilcinkas (CAL) def. No. 60 Chang/Doerr (BYU) 8-3
3. Bobusic/Dillon (CAL) def. Carney/Hayasaka (BYU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 15 S. Babos (CAL) def. No. 86 A. Surkova (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 16 M. Cossou (CAL) def. No. 80 K. Doerr (BYU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0(5)
3. No. 37 C. Visico (CAL) def. C. Hayasaka (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
4. S. Kusano (CAL) def. D. Chang (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
5. No. 64 C. Ilcinkas (CAL) def. E. Ezhova (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
6. No. 89 B. Bobusic (CAL) def. E. Carney (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1*, 6, 2, 4