BYU defeated New Mexico 6-1 Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
ALBUQUERQUE -- BYU women’s tennis improved to 4-3 in conference play and 8-12 on the season after defeating New Mexico 6-1 Friday.
“We played solid tennis from top to bottom,” BYU coach Joey Johnson said. “We had decisive wins and, in general, the players are improving every match.”
Doubles play brought wins across the board for the Cougars. Chie Hayasaka and Liza Ezhova earned the first win for BYU on court three. Kristina Doerr and Elle Carney followed with an 8-4 victory at the No. 2 position to notch the doubles point. No. 30 McCall Jones and Megan Price completed the sweep, winning their match 8-6.
“We tried some new doubles combination,” Johnson said. “Those new pairs helped out and made a difference.”
On courts one through three, No. 35 Jones, Doerr and Hayasaka all took their matches in straight sets. Price, who recently returned to the lineup, defeated her opponent 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 5 spot to secure the win for the Cougars.
Ezhova tallied another win for BYU, a 6-3, 6-0 decision on court six. The only point of the day for the Lobos came at the No. 4 position where Ashley Bonner defeated Elle Carney. The BYU junior won the first set 6-4 before losing the second 6-0. Because the match result was set, the players competed in a 10-point tiebreak rather than a full third set. Bonner won 10-1 in the tiebreak and finished the match at 6-1.
“All in all, everybody felt good about the way they played and so did I,” Johnson said. “As we prepare for Saturday, the players are in a competitive mindset and ready to get out there.”
BYU will close the season against TCU Saturday at the Lobo Tennis Center. The match begins at 10 a.m.
1. No. 30 Jones/Price (BYU) def. Bonner/Villanueva (UNM) 8-6
2. Doerr/Carney (BYU) def. Oldani/Shipperd (UNM) 8-4
3. Hayasaka/Ezhova (BYU) def. Durie/Bourdages (UNM) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 35 M. Jones (BYU) def. A. Villanueva (UNM) 6-2, 6-0
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. K. Eggleston (UNM) 6-1, 6-3
3. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. L. Richardson (UNM) 6-0, 6-0
4. A. Bonner (UNM) def. E. Carney (BYU) 6-4, 0-6, 10-1
5. M. Price (BYU) def. M. Durie (UNM) 6-1, 6-4
6. L. Ezhova (BYU) def. A. Shipperd (UNM) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 4