Anatasia Dourkova played brilliant tennis against Air Fore. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
COLORADO SPRINGS -- Not even bad weather could stop the No. 27 BYU women's tennis team (18-6, 6-2) Saturday, as they moved indoors and beat Air Force (9-17, 1-7) 4-0 in the last match of the regular season. Because the matches were played inside, once BYU reached the necessary four points, the match was stopped.
Just like they have done all year, the Cougars used the doubles matches to set the tone for the rest of the match. Anastasia Sourkova and Jennifer Miccoli scored an 8-1 victory over Meghan Kiser and Lauren Wilson to start things off. Then to seal the doubles point for BYU, Lauren Jones and Hanni Deters netted an 8-2 victory of their own.
Going into singles play with the lead and things going their way, the Cougars didn't take long to finish what they'd started. Anastasia Sourkova seemed especially anxious to finish the match, and didn't even allow Air Force's Lauren Wilson to win a game. Sourkova dominated from beginning to end, and finished with the perfect 6-0, 6-0 win.
The two remaining points weren't far behind for BYU. Dolly Chang made quick work of Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 6-3; and Sofia Holden held off a late Christine Abayan run to take her match 6-3, 7-6. The win brought the match to a close, as well as another successful season for BYU. This is the third-straight match BYU has shutout its opponent.
The Cougars will now take some time to rest before preparing for the Mountain West Conference Championships April 28-30 in San Diego, Calif. Opponents and start times for those matches TBA.
BYU 4 Air Force 0
1. Kat Bushey (AFA) vs. Lauren Jones, 6-4, 4-6, DNF
2. Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def. Lauren Wilson, 6-0, 6-0
3. Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Christine Abayan, 6-3, 7-6
4. Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Erika Shortridge, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kelly Morgan (AFA) vs. Jennifer Miccoli, 5-7, 2-1, DNF
6. Meghan Kiser (AFA) vs. Rana El Derwy, 1-2, DNF
1. Bushey/Abayan (AFA) def. Chang/Holden, 8-2
2. Sourkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Kiser/Wilson, 8-1
3. Jones/Hanni Deters (BYU) def. Shortridge/Morgan, 8-2