Callie Craig earned the first BYU victory in Friday's match. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
Click to watch the video.
PROVO -- The No. 73 BYU women’s tennis team fought hard, but narrowly missed victory in Friday’s 5-2 home match against the Washington State Cougars.
“The loss was disappointing,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We did well at the start. We came out strong. But after the first sets, we seemed hesitant and maybe doubted a little bit. We couldn’t keep up the momentum, and they took advantage of it.”
No. 53 Callie Craig of Orem, Utah, and Megan Price showed up strong on Court 1 in doubles, only losing one game to Olga Musilovich and Liudmila Vasilieva and taking the match 8-1. Washington State’s Ksenia Googe and Andjela Kankaras defeated BYU’s senior duo Elle Carney and Elizaveta Ezhova 8-4, bringing the doubles score to a 1-1 tie.
Sophomores Aubrey Paul, a Sandy, Utah, native, and Andie Young, from Salt Lake City, fought hard against Elisabeth Fournier and Lea Jansen, but just missed the win (8-6) to give Washington State the doubles point.
In singles action, Freshman Craig pulled off BYU’s first point, going 6-4, 0-6, 6-1 for the victory against Googe on Court 3. Aubrey Paul had the second BYU point, beating Jansen in straight sets 7-6, 6-2.
Price on Court 1 and Carney on Court 2 both lost in set tiebreakers, Price falling 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 to Fournier and Carney falling 7-5, 7-6 to Vasilieva. Ezhova and Desiree Tran also lost their respective matches.
“Tomorrow, we’re focusing on believing,” Spencer said. “We need to work on confidence and focusing until the end of the match.”
The Cougars will play No. 38 Boise State Saturday at noon at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts, located south of the Smith Fieldhouse. Admission is free and treats will be provided. Spectators may park in “Y Lot” parking lots to the northwest and southwest of the indoor courts.
No. 73 BYU vs. Washington State
1. C. Craig/M. Price (BYU) def. O. Musilovich/L. Vasilieva (WS) 8-1
2. K. Googe/A. Kankaras (WS) def. E. Carney/E. Ezhova (BYU) 8-4
3. E. Fournier/L. Jansen (WS) def. A. Paul/A. Young (BYU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Elisabeth Fournier (WS) def. Megan Price (BYU) 1-6, 6-1, 7-6
2. Liudmila Vasilieva (WS) def. Elle Carney (BYU) 7-5, 7-6
3. Callie Craig (BYU) def. Ksenia Googe (WS) 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
4. Olga Musilovich (WS) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Andjela Kankaras (WS) def. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) 6-3, 6-7, (10-4)
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Lea Jansen (WS) 7-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5