Chie Hayasaka earned a singles and doubles win for BYU Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
FORT COLLINS -- For the first time this season, the BYU women’s tennis team earned back-to-back wins after defeating Colorado State Friday. The Cougars slipped past the Rams 4-3 to improve to 3-2 in conference play and 7-11 overall.
“Everybody competed very well,” BYU coach Joey Johnson said. “ Every match we’re playing better and digging deeper, and that’s a good sign.”
Seniors Kristina Doerr and Chie Hayasaka notched the first doubles win of the contest, defeating Caitlin Fluegge and Laura Neal 8-4 at the No. 2 position. Colorado State took the match on court three at 8-6, but No. 28 McCall Jones and Megan Price squeaked out a 9-7 victory to clinch the pairs point for BYU.
Hayasaka wasted no time in singles, tallying a 6-2, 6-2 win over Fluegge at the No. 3 spot. Jones also recorded a straight-set win at the top of the lineup to put the Cougars one point away from their third conference victory.
Doerr fell 6-1 in the first set before coming back to win the second 6-2. She fought through a third-set tiebreak to seal the victory for BYU. With the match result already decided, the Rams came back to capture the remaining three matches on courts four through six.
“I feel good about the momentum we’re building,” Johnson said. “If we can get everybody healthy, we’ll be in good shape.”
Conference play continues Saturday when the Cougars face Wyoming at 10 a.m. at the UW Tennis Courts.
1. No. 28 Jones/Price (BYU) def. Arneson/Neal (CSU) 9-7
2. Doerr/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Fluegge/Mulhern (CSU) 8-4
3. Holzinger/Wojakowska (CSU) def. Carney/Ezhova (BYU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 52 M. Jones (BYU) def. L. Neal (CSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. T. Arneson (CSU) 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. C. Fluegge (CSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. V. Wojakowska (CSU) def. E. Carney (BYU) 1-6, 7-6 (0), 6-2
5. M. Holzinger (CSU) def. A. Paul (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
6. L. Mulhern (CSU) def. Def. A. Young (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6