Senior captain Megan Price secured BYU's first round win with her victory on Court 4. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
SAN DIEGO – With a 4-1 win over No. 7 seed San Francisco on Wednesday, the No. 6 seeded BYU women’s tennis team advanced to the second round of the West Coast Conference Tennis Championships.
“The girls came out and played well today in the first round,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We’re looking forward to carrying our momentum into tomorrow.”
The Cougars (8-14) started the match strong, grabbing the doubles point over the Dons (6-13). The No. 1 doubles duo of senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon posted a quick 8-1 win before freshman Morgan Anderson and sophomore Desiree Tran defeated their Court 2 opponent, 8-4. Junior Aubrey Paul and freshman Lisa Waldron completed the doubles sweep, taking an 8-5 decision at No. 3 doubles.
The Cougars carried their momentum into singles with first set wins on five of the six courts. Paul extended BYU’s lead to 2-0 after a straight set victory on Court 2 (6-4, 6-1) before Alana McMahon defeated Waldron on Court 6 to earn San Francisco its lone win of the match.
Playing at the No. 3 singles position, Sheehan-Dizon answered for the Cougars, picking up a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Melinda Akerbrant. After battling through three sets on Court 4, team captain Price pulled through to secure BYU’s first round win.
The final two matches were not finished due to the Cougars’ insurmountable 4-1 lead.
BYU advances to the second round where it faces No. 3 seed San Diego Thursday at 12:30 p.m. PDT. The Toreros (10-9) came away with a 5-2 win over the Cougars earlier this season.
The winner of the Tennis Championships will be crowned Saturday and will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Follow tournament updates at WCC Tennis Tournament Central.
Women's First Round
#6 BYU def. #7 San Francisco, 4-1
1. Megan Price/Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Julia Wartenburger/Blair Reed (USF) 8-1
2. Morgan Anderson/Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Yurie Hashiguchi/Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 8-4
3. Aubrey Paul/Lisa Waldron (BYU) def. Alana McMahon/Melinda Akerbrant (USF) 8-5
1. Desiree Tran (BYU) leads Julia Wartenburger (USF) DNF
2. Morgan Anderson (BYU) vs. Marina Nikolic (USF) DNF
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Melinda Akerbrant (USF) 6-3, 6-2
4. Megan Price (BYU) def. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
5. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) 6-4, 6-1
6. Alana McMahon (USF) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU) 6-2, 6-1