Morgan Anderson routed her opponent on Court 3, 6-0, 6-1, in Saturday's match against Nevada. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah – Using home court advantage, the BYU women’s tennis team took down the Nevada Wolfpack, 5-2, Saturday at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“Overall, I think the team did really well this whole weekend,” BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “The girls fought hard this weekend. They played their game and they came out on top. They never gave up, especially yesterday. Denver was a tough match. They fought to the end and pulled out the win. Going into today, that win gave us confidence and I think we’ll continue building on that confidence for our next match.”
The Cougars (2-2) took the doubles point over the Wolfpack (0-2) after swift 8-3 victories by senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon on Court 1, and sophomore Desiree Tran and freshman Morgan Anderson on Court 2.
Anderson was off the court first for the Cougars in singles after only dropping one game to Sophie Stevens at the No. 3 position.
Nevada closed the gap on BYU with a Court 1 win by Michelle Okhremchuk over Tran, 6-4, 6-3.
Price, playing at the No. 2 position, finished her match next, defeating Emma Verberne, 7-6(3), 6-4, to put the Cougars back up by two.
Sheehan-Dizon secured the BYU win with a 7-6(5), 6-2 decision over Juliette Legendre on Court 4.
The Cougars continue match play Saturday against Wisconsin at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
BYU – 5
Nevada – 2
1. Michelle Okhremchuk (NEV) def. Desiree Tran (BYU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Megan Price (BYU) def. Emma Verberne (NEV), 7-6 (3), 6-4
3. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Sophie Stevens (NEV), 6-0, 6-1
4. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Juliette Legendre (NEV), 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Gabriela Eufrasio (NEV), 6-0, 6-4
6. Rymma Maslova (NEV) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU), 1-2, def. inj.
1. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. E. Verberne/J. Legendre (NEV), 8-3
2. D. Tran/M. Anderson (BYU) def. M. Okhremchuk/R. Maslova (NEV), 8-3
3. S. Stevens/G. Eufrasio (NEV) def. A. Paul/L. Waldron (BYU), 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3), Singles (3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5)