PROVO -- A strong start by No. 11 Tennessee generated unstoppable momentum as it defeated the No. 49 BYU women's tennis team Tuesday. The loss dropped the Cougars to 4-8, while the Lady Volunteers improved to 14-3.
"I thought we came out pretty flat today," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "It might have been because we had a week and a half off, but I've got to give credit to Tennessee too because they are a great team."
The Lady Volunteers set the tone for the day in doubles play as they quickly claimed the doubles point in winning the first two matches. The third doubles match was the closest of the three and pitted the unbeaten Cougar duo (9-0 on the year) of Rebecca Pike and Olga Boulytcheva against Sabita Maharaj and Crystal Cleveland. Eventually it was Maharaj and Cleveland that would edge the Cougars 9-7.
"As a whole we didn't play doubles well," Manning said. "And in singles half the players seemed to play well and the other half seemed to be flat."
In singles play the Lady Volunteers continued their stellar play as they swept all six matches without losing a set. Pike in the No. 4 position lost a closely contested first set 7-6 before bowing in second set 6-3.
"The team is pretty disappointed with the results of today," Manning said. "They want to come out and practice hard tomorrow because we have a busy weekend ahead of us."
BYU will continue its home-stand with a pair of match-ups this weekend. The Cougars will play host to Boise State Friday at 11 a.m., and South Carolina Saturday at Noon. On Friday, if the weather is good, the No. 1 singles and doubles matches will be televised live on BYU-TV and at midnight of the same day on KBYU.
No. 49 BYU (4-8) 0, #11 Tennessee (14-3) 7
1. Vilamarie Castellvi (UT) def. Nickie Reynolds (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Tammy Encina (UT) def. Leeza Klempner (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Crystal Cleveland (UT) def. Olga Bulytcheva (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Melissa Schuab (UT) def. Rebecca Pike (BYU) 7-6(3), 6-3
5. Sabita Maharaj (UT) def. Terah Porter (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ashley Robards (UT) def. Hadley MacFarlene (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Castellvi/Schuab (UT) def. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) 8-5
2. Encina/Immink (UT) def. MacFarlene/Schneider (BYU) 8-3
3. Maharaj/Cleveland (UT) def. Pike/Bulytcheva (BYU) 9-7