PROVO -- The No. 66 BYU women's team won their second straight at home with a 5-2 win over No. 38 South Carolina, Saturday afternoon. The win improved the team to 6-8 on the season as it gains momentum heading into conference play.
"I'm very happy with the girls effort," head coach Craig Manning said. "The girls are starting to get confidence at the most important time of the year."
BYU won the doubles matches 2-1 to claim the doubles point. Despite a loss by top-seed seniors Dominique Reynolds and Liza Klempner, freshman Hadley MacFarlane and senior Tara Porter won a tight 9-8 match over Danielle Wiggins and Judi Kenoyar. Sophomore Rebecca Pike and freshman Olga Boulytcheva then defeated USC's Catherine Brown and Justine Walsh to secure the doubles point.
In singles, the Cougars won four of six matches over the Gamecocks with two close matches going to three sets. Tara Porter won 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 over Catherine Brown and Rebecca Pike came back to win 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 over Magda Wojdylo to secure the team victory.
"Tara (Porter) played very well today," Manning said.
Liza Klempner came through again with a solid 6-3, 6-3 win over Kathy Boyenick. Klempner was the key to yesterday's win over Boise State with a win over the No. 66 ranked singles player in the country.
Freshman Hadley Macfarlane won her match easily 6-0, 6-3.
The Cougars hopes to improve to .500 on the season at Albuquerque, N.M. next weekend as they face Air Force on Friday and host New Mexico on Saturday.
No. 66 BYU def. No. 28 Boise State 5-2
1. Boyanovich/Wojdylo (USC) def. Reynolds/Klempner (BYU) 8-3
2. MacFarlane/Porter (BYU) def. Wiggins/Kenoyer (USC) 9-5 (5)
3. Pike/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Brown/Walsh (USC) 9-7
1. Liza Klempner (BYU) def. Kathy Boyanovich (USC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jodi Kenoyer (USC) def. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) 7-6, 7-6
3. Danielle Wiggins (USC) def. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Magda Wojdylo (USC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Tara Porter (BYU) def. Catherine Brown (USC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
6. Hadley MacFarlane (BYU) def. Justine Walsh (USC) 6-0, 6-3