Freshman Morgan Anderson topped her Court 3 opponent, 6-3, 6-3. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah – The No. 70 Wisconsin Badgers narrowly edged out the BYU women’s tennis team, 4-3, Friday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
"If we lose, I want to make sure the girls learn from the match so we can move on and know what to do next time," BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "We're taking it one match at a time. I'm proud of their effort today though."
The Badgers (6-1) jumped out ahead to start the match, taking the doubles point with victories on Court 2 and 3.
Playing at the No. 1 position, senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon won the lone BYU doubles victory with an 8-6 win over Hannah Berner and Alaina Trgovich.
Despite dropping the doubles point, BYU (2-3) took the lead after Price and freshman Morgan Anderson won their singles matches on Court 2 and 3, respectively. Anderson made quick of her opponent, defeating Trgjovich, 6-3, 6-3. After falling in the first set, Price battled back to hold Berner to three games in the next two sets, for a final score of 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
BYU sophomore Desiree Tran lost a 7-5, 6-3 decision to Nicky Stracar at the No. 1 position for the Cougars.
Sheehan-Dizon put on a show on Court 4, with a three-set thriller against Sarah Loebel. Tied one set a piece, Sheehan-Dizon found herself down 3-5 before she took the next two games to tie the third set 5-5. The BYU freshman went on to win the tiebreaker and match, 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(4). The win was Sheehan-Dizon’s fourth in a row.
The Badgers answered with their own win at the No. 6 position. Aleksandra Markovic defeated BYU freshman Lisa Waldron, 6-2, 6-0.
With a 3-3 score, the match came down to Court 4. Junior Aubrey Paul pushed Nova Patel to three sets but was unable to take the third, falling 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-4.
The Cougars return to action Feb. 24 when they travel to take on Washington State.
No. 70 Wisconsin – 4
BYU – 3
1. Nicky Stracar (WISC) def. Desiree Tran (BYU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Megan Price (BYU) def. Hannah Berner (WISC), 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Alaina Trgovich (WISC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Sarah Loebel (WISC), 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(4)
5. Nova Patel (WISC) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU), 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-4
6. Aleksandra Markovic (WISC) def. Lisa Waldron (BYU), 6-2, 6-0
1. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) vs. H. Berner/A. Trgovich (WISC), 8-6
2. N. Stracar/N. Patel (WISC) def. M. Anderson/D. Tran (BYU), 8-2
3. A. Chupa/A. Markovic (WISC) def. A. Paul/L. Waldron (BYU), 8-1
Wisconsin (6-1); National ranking: No. 70
Order of finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1); Singles (3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5)