Junior Morgan Anderson-Littlewood helped BYU secure the doubles point and clinch the team's second WCC win. (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah -- Behind efficient doubles play and dominating performances in singles, No. 71 BYU women’s tennis cruised to a lopsided 6-1 win over Pacific in West Coast Conference action, Friday.
“Everyone came out and played aggressively today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer
said. “It’s a great win to build off of.”
The Cougars (6-6, 2-0 WCC) remain unbeaten at home as they set the pace in doubles, dropping the Tigers (6-7) to 0-2 in WCC play.
BYU went with a different combination at No. 2 doubles by pairing freshman Savannah Ware
with sophomore Nicolette Tran
. The change served the team well as the netters coasted by Iveta Masarova and Cristina Saenz de Buruaga Ruiz, 8-2, securing the doubles point.
In singles action, Ware continued her stellar play by blanking Ferrari 6-0, 6-0, at the No. 5 spot. At third singles, Tran followed her teammate with a one-sided victory of her own over her opponent, 6-1, 6-2.
With the match at 3-0 in favor of the Cougars, Littlewood clinched the match from sixth singles with the win over Gergana Boncheva, 6-1, 6-2.
Miclat took the first set against Francis Dean, 6-2, before losing the second 6-0. The freshman took the win in a shortened third set 1-0 (10-4). Fellow freshman Jones also claimed a win at No. 1 when her opponent defaulted the second set after Jones took the first.
The Cougars face No. 38 Saint Mary’s Saturday at noon MDT. Live statistics will be available on the BYU athletics website
Tennis Match Results
Pacific vs Brigham Young University
Mar 21, 2014 at BYU
(Outdoor Tennis Courts)
#71 Brigham Young University 6, Pacific 1
1. JONES, Mayci (BYU) def. MASAROVA, Iveta (PAC) 6-3, 4-3, Wd
2. RITTEROVA, Hana (PAC) def. SHEEHAN-DIZON, Meg. (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-4)
3. TRAN, Nicolette (BYU) def. SAENZdeBURUAGA, Cri. (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
4. MICLAT, Toby (BYU) def. DEAN, Francis (PAC) 6-2, 0-6, 1-0 (10-4)
5. WARE, Savannah (BYU) def. FERRARI, Christiana (PAC) 6-0, 6-0
6. ANDERSON-LITTLEWOOD, Morgan (BYU) def. BONCHEVA, Gergana (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
1. JONES, Mayci/MICLAT, Toby (BYU) def. RITTEROVA, Hana/SUAREZ, Regina (PAC) 6-5 unfinished
2. TRAN, Nicolette/WARE, Savannah (BYU) def. MASAROVA, Iveta/SAENZdeBURUAGA, Cri. (PAC) 8-2
3. SHEEHAN-DIZON, Meg./ANDERSON-LITTLEWOOD, Morgan (BYU) def. FERRARI, Christiana/DEAN, Francis (PAC) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,3,6,4,2,1)