The Cougars lost 4-3 to Wyoming Saturday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
LARAMIE -- A winning weekend road trip ended on a sour note for the BYU women’s tennis team. The Cougars fell 4-3 to Wyoming Saturday to drop to 3-3 in conference play.
In doubles, the matches on courts one and two went quickly. No. 28 McCall Jones and Megan Price breezed by their opponents 8-3. The Cowgirls won at the No. 2 position by the same score and secured an 8-6 victory on court three to capture the doubles point.
Singles play began with Jones and Elle Carney earning identical 6-1, 6-3 wins at the Nos. 1 and 4 spots, respectively, to put BYU up 2-1. UW next tallied its first victory, a straight-set win on court two. Chie Hayasaka defeated her Cowgirl challenger 7-5, 6-1 to notch the third point for the Cougars.
With two matches remaining, BYU needed only one more point to lock up its third straight conference win. Price and Liza Ezhova both lost their first sets but came back to win the second in a tiebreak. Both players fell in the deciding third set to give Wyoming the victory at 4-3.
The Cougars will continue play against Mountain West Conference teams next week when they face New Mexico and TCU in Albuquerque, N.M.
1. #28 Jones/Price (BYU) def. van Ginkel/Synkova (UW), 8-3
2. Berger/Kovas (UW) def. Doerr/Hayasaka (BYU), 8-3
3. Navarro/Summerfield (UW) def. Carney/Ezhova (BYU), 8-6
1. #52 M. Jones (BYU) def. S. Summerfield (UW), 6-1, 6-3
2. A. Kovacs (UW) def. Doerr (BYU), 6-4, 7-6
3. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. S. Synkova (UW), 7-5, 6-1
4. E. Carney (BYU) def. R.Berger (UW), 6-1, 6-3
5. K. van Ginkel (UW) def. M. Price (BYU), 6-2, 6-7 (7-4), 6-1
6. S. Nemcova (UW) def. L. Ezhova (BYU), 6-1, 6-7 (8-6), 6-1