Freshman Elle Carney scored one point for BYU in its loss to Denver on Friday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The No. 56 BYU women's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 match to No. 39 Denver on Friday. With the loss the Cougars fall to 4-6 on the season.
BYU lost the doubles point early, with its only win coming at the hands of undefeated duo No. 46 Dolly Chang and Kristina Doerr.
Chang, Anastasia Surkova and Elizaveta Ezhova dropped the first three singles matches, securing the victory for DU. Fighting until the end, the Cougars' three remaining players each won their respective matches.
Doerr pulled off a 7-6, 3-6 (10-5) victory over Ute Schnoy to win BYU's first point of the match. After winning her first set, Elle Carney found herself down 1-0 early in the second, but went on to win the next six games to clinch the win. To finish things off for the night, Chie Hayasaka downed her DU opponent in a tie-breaking 2-6, 6-2 (10-4) match.
The Cougars return to action tomorrow afternoon when they face Kansas State at 12 p.m. MT. The match will be played at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts and admission is free.
No. 39 Denver - 4
No. 56 Brigham Young University - 3
February 22, 2008
1. Voelke/Bauregger (DU) def. Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) 8-6
2. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Iwinski/Schnoy (DU) 8-6
3. Smole/Aksdal (DU) def. Ezhova/Hayasaka (DU) 8-4
1. M. Voelker (DU) def. A. Surkova (BYU) 7-6, 6-3
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. U. Schnoy (DU) 7-6, 3-6 (10-5)
3. A. Aksdal (DU) def. D. Chang (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
4. J. Bauregger (DU) def. E. Ezhova (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
5. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. B. Tirumurti (DU) 2-6, 6-2 (10-4)
6. E. Carney (BYU) def. K. Iwinski (DU) 6-4, 6-1