PROVO -- The No. 46 BYU women's tennis team defeated its second nationally ranked opponent in three days, beating No. 19 Mississippi, 4-0, Monday afternoon, two days after beating No. 53 Purdue, Saturday afternoon.
The Cougars started hot, winning two doubles matches, while the third doubles contest went unfinished. Jodi Richardson and Brooke Ferney won their match, 8-4, while Lu Oswald and Lindsay Ferrell recorded an 8-5 victory.
"We played very well," coach Craig Manning said. "We focused on our goals and it was a full team effort. The team supports each other so well and that really helps."
BYU went on to record three more wins in singles matches, while the other three singles matches also went unfinished. No. 1 singles player Richardson led the way for BYU, defeating Mississippi's Julie DeRoo, the No. 7 player in the nation, 6-2, 6-4. No. 2 and ne. 4 songles players Brooke Ferney and Lu Oswald, also recorded straight set wins for the Cougars, winning 7-5, 6-2, and 6-1, 7-6, respectively.
With the win, BYU improves its record to 3-1 on the year. The Cougars continue home action this weekend, hosting Wisconsin on Friday at 3 p.m.
BYU 4 Mississippi 0
1. Jodi Richardson def. Julie DeRoo 6-2, 6-4 (BYU)
2. Brooke Ferney def. Hanna-Katri Aalto 7-5, 6-2 (BYU)
3. Dominique Reynolds vs. Alesya Ignatieva 6-2, 5-7, 2-0 (unfinished)
4. Lu Oswald def. Karem Harboe 6-1, 7-6 (BYU)
5. Lindsay Ferrell vs. Mira Radu 4-2 (unfinished)
6. Elyse Jensen vs. Audra Adams 1-1 (unfinished)
1. Richardson/Ferney def. Aalto/Ignatieva 8-4 (BYU)
2. Reynolds/Liza Khordoiarova vs. DeRoo/Radu 7-6 (unfinished)
3. Oswald/Ferrell def. Adams/Camilla Gould 8-5 (BYU)