ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (March 28, 2003) -- The No. 57 BYU women's tennis team extended their winning streak to three matches on Friday as they blanked MWC opponent Air Force 7-0. The win gives the Cougars a 7-8 overall record and an unbeaten 2-0 record in conference play.
The Cougars began the match with the doubles point by winning two of the three doubles matches. Olga Boulytcheva and Rebecca Pike won easily at the No. 3 spot by beating Jen Nigro and Kelli O'Bryant 8-2. Hadley MacFarlane and Tara Porter were the other Cougar tandem to win at doubles by beating Heather Shelby and Kat Bushey 8-6 at the No. 2 doubles position.
"Everyone played really strong today," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "We were a little shaky in doubles, especially at the No. 1 spot, but we played really well in singles."
After being up 1-0 after the doubles matches, the Cougars won all six singles matches to blank the Falcons. Every Cougar won in straight sets except for Boulytcheva who dropped the first set to Bushey 3-6 before winning the next two sets 6-4, 6-0 to claim the victory at the No. 3 spot.
The Cougars are back in action tomorrow as they face another MWC opponent in New Mexico. The match will be played in Albuquerque and will begin at noon.
No. 57 BYU 7, AFA 0
1. Liza Klempner (BYU) def. Laura Nigro (AFA) 7-5, 6-0
2. Dominique Reynolds (BYU) def. Heather Shelby (AFA) 6-2, 6-0
3. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Kat Bushey (AFA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
4. Rebecca Pike (BYU) def. Kelli O'Bryant (AFA) 6-3, 6-2
5. Tara Porter (BYU) def. Gina Black (AFA) 6-4, 6-4
6. Hadley Macfarlane (BYU) def. Katie Tomkie (AFA) 6-1, 6-0
1. L. Nigro/Black (AFA) def. Klempner/Reynolds (BYU) 8-5
2. MacFarlane/Porter (BYU) def. Shelby/Bushey (AFA) 8-6
3. Pike/Boulytcheva (BYU) def. J. Nigro/O'Bryant (AFA) 8-2