Seniors Sofia Holden (pictured) and Lauren Jones both won their singles and doubles matches on Senior Day Wednesday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- Seniors Sofia Holden and Lauren Jones were honored Wednesday in the BYU women's tennis team's last home match as the Cougars beat the Broncos, 5-2.
Jones was paired with Dolly Chang on court no. 2 where BYU clinched the doubles point. Juniors Jenny Miccoli and Anastasia Surkova, the No. 49 doubles team in the nation, won their 12th match in a row on court no. 1 and Holden won on court no. 3 with freshman Kristina Doerr.
Surkova was the first off the singles courts with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the no. 1 spot. The one game she allowed in her match is only the seventh she has given up in the last eight sets.
Jones' singles win on court no. 2 was the clincher for the team win as well.
"I just wanted to play well today, it didn't matter if I won or lost," Jones said. "It was bittersweet because it is the end of my career, but I'm glad I played well and it was a great experience."
Holden had 12 match points against her in the second set, but battled back to win in a tiebreak third set. Up 9-6 in the third, Holden only needed one match point to close out a win in her last home match.
"I don't feel like its my last match because we have six more weeks of play," Holden said. "I like these courts. These are my courts and I'm glad to go out on this note."
BYU improves to 15-5 on the year with the win and has now won seven matches in a row.
"We're not beating ourselves," BYU head coach Craig Manning said. "I don't know how else to say it. I just want to see what we can do when we're all healthy."
The Cougars will play two more conference matches this weekend at Liberty Park in Salt Lake City. The team will face New Mexico on Friday and No. 32 TCU on Saturday, at 10 a.m. both days.
No. 35 BYU vs. No. 43 Boise State
1. No. 49 Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Laura Baum/Mackova (BSU) 8-3
2. Jones/Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Tatiana Ganzha/Kokoulina (BSU) 8-3
3. Doerr/Holden (BYU) def. Coll/Wlodanczya (BSU) 8-5
Order of finish:
1, 2*, 3
* clinches doubles point
1. No. 118 Anastasia Surkova (BYU) def. Polina Kokoulina (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Bianca Jochimsen (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jana Mackova (BSU) def. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) 7-6, 4-3 (ret.)
4. Claudia Wlodanczya (BSU) def. Kristina Doerr (BYU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Stacey Housley (BSU) 2-6, 7-6, 10-6
6. Jenny Miccoli (BYU) def. Tiffany Coll (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish:
1, 6, 4, 2*, 3, 5
* clinches match
BYU wins 5-2