Kristina Doerr earned a singles win against San Diego State Friday (Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
LAS -- After a four and a half hour match, the No. 42 San Diego State women’s tennis team slipped by No. 57 BYU, 5-2.
With the results, both teams now have a 5-2 record against Mountain West opponents and are tied for third place in the conference standings.
“We fought very hard and played really well,” BYU coach Craig Manning said.
For the first time in 10 matches, the Cougars were unable to win the doubles point. BYU’s Liza Ezhova and Romina Nedakovic notched an 8-2 victory on court three to begin the match. However, the Aztec pairs at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions proved too much for the Cougars, who fell 9-8 at both spots.
“San Diego State is a good team and we almost had them,” Manning said. “We were right there.”
In singles, McCall Jones and Kristina Doerr made quick work of their opponents, earning straight set victories on courts one and two, respectively. SDSU came back with wins at the No. 4 and No. 5 positions.
The two remaining matches went to three sets before freshmen Megan Price and Romina Nedakovic both fell to end the match at 5-2.
“It was close. In the end, the heat and the wind got to the players a little bit,” Manning said.
The Cougars will finish the regular season Saturday against No. 50 UNLV. The match begins at 10 a.m. at the Fertitta Tennis Complex.
No. 42 SAN DIEGO STATE- 5
No. 57 BYU- 2
1. #58 Bagshaw/Trunk (SDSU) def. #69 Doerr/Jones (BYU) 9-8
2. Roxanne Ellison/Sierra Ellison (SDSU) def. Carney/Price (BYU) 9-8
3. Ezhova/Nedakovic (BYU) def. Cadua/Cioffi (SDSU) 8-2
1. #116 McCall Jones (BYU) def. Julia Trunk (SDSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Kristina Doerr (BYU) def. Holly Bagshaw (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Emma Cioffi (SDSU) def. Megan Price (BYU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
4. Esther Cadua (SDSU) def. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Olivia Colman (SDSU) def. Elle Carney (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Milana Yusupov (SDSU) def. Romina Nedakovic (BYU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3