Sophomore Kristina Doerr contributed to the Cougars 4-3 win over Texas Tech on Saturday. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The No. 58 BYU women's tennis team earned a 4-3 victory over No. 72 Texas Tech on Saturday to secure an undefeated weekend at home. With the win BYU improves to 4-5 on the season.
For the first time since playing Washington State earlier in the season, the Cougars won all three of their doubles matches.
"[Elle Carney and Elizaveta Ezhova] played really well at the No. 3 position today," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "It's been a while since we've won all three of our doubles matches, and it was good to win one at No. 3."
In singles play, Kristina Doerr made quick work of her Texas Tech opponent, winning 8-3, 8-3. BYU lost its next two matches at the No. 3 and 4 positions, however, senior Anastasia Surkova stepped up to win 5-7, 6-3, 6-0 over the Red Raiders' Samantha van der Drift.
With the match-winning point on the line, it came down to the play of Carney and Chie Hayasaka. Carney pulled out a three-set victory to clinch the match for the Cougars.
"I was really nervous," said Carney. "I knew it was coming down to me and Chie and my heart was racing."
Up next the Cougars prepare to host Denver and Kansas State on Feb. 22-23.
No. 72 Texas Tech - 3
No. 58 BYU - 4
February 16, 2008
1. Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Garland/Van Der Drift (TTU) 8-3
2. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Potgieter/Durham (TTU) 9-7
3. Ezhova/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Ballus/Templeton (TTU) 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. A. Surkova (BYU) def. S. Van Der Drift (TTU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-0
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. K. Garland (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
3. S. Templeton (TTU) def. D. Chang (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
4. J. Durham (TTU) def. E. Ezhova (BYU) 6-1, 7-5
5. K. Potgieter (TTU) def. C. Hayasaka (BYU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. E. Carney (BYU) def. M. Andres (TTU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3, 1, 6, 5