(Photo by Jaren Wilkey/BYU Photo)
SAN DIEGO — In the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Championships, the No. 56 BYU women’s tennis team battled in all six singles matches, but could not pick up a win, dropping a 4-0 match to No. 44 Saint Mary’s at the Barnes Tennis Center, Friday.
The No. 2 seed Cougars were down by one entering the singles matches after not picking up the doubles point.
“We were slow today when we started our doubles matches,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “We couldn’t pick up our energy when we headed into the singles matches. It just wasn’t our day.”
At No. 2 doubles for the Cougars were Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Morgan Anderson. The duo played tough but eventually lost 8-2 to Saint Mary’s Danielle Flores and Jade Frampton. At the No. 3 doubles, BYU’s Nicolette Tran and Savannah Ware battled but fell to Saint Mary’s Jamie Pawid and Catherine Leduc 8-2. The Cougars Toby Miclat and Mayci Jones were down by just one, 6-7 at the No. 1 doubles spot, but that match did not finish once the Gaels had secured the doubles point.
Competing at No. 1 singles for BYU was Jones. She played against the Gaels’ Jullien who won in straight sets, 1-6, 3-6.
Anderson was at No. 6 singles battling Saint Mary’s Kaur, but lost in straight sets, 3-6, 4-6.
Down 3-0, Tran gave the Cougars hope at the No. 2 singles spot. She kept it close in the first set against Flores, but fell 5-7. Tran battled in the second set, but eventually lost that set 4-6.
The Cougars (12-8) close out an impressive 2013-14 campaign with a second place finish in the WCC and a perfect 8-0 record at home.
No. 56 BYU-0. No. 44 SMC-4
1. Jenny Jullien (SMC), def. Mayci Jones (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Danielle Flores (SMC), def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU), Jamie Pawid (SMC), 3-6, 1-6, DNF
4. Toby Miclat, (BYU), Catherine Leduc (SMC), 6-7 (3), 2-5, DNF
5. Savannah Ware (BYU), Jade Frampton (SMC) 4-6, 2-5, DNF
6. Paminder Kaur (SMC), def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Toby Miclat/Mayci Jones (BYU), Jenny Jullien (SMC) 6-7, DNF
2. Danielle Flores/Jade Frampton (SMC), def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon/Morgan Anderson (BYU) 8-2
3. Jamie Pawid/Catherine Leduc (SMC), def. Nicolette Tran/Savannah Ware (BYU) 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 1, 6, 3