Elizaveta Ezhova scored the team's only singles point against UC Irvine. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
IRVINE -- The BYU women’s tennis team met another tough loss Saturday to UC Irvine, falling 5-2 on the road despite winning the doubles point.
No. 78 Callie Craig and Megan Price took down Hannah Holladay and Becka Kwan on Court 1 with a 8-4 win, followed by an 8-5 win on Court 3 from Elle Carney and Aubrey Paul, taking the doubles point and putting the Cougars (4-7) ahead 1-0.
Elizaveta Ezhova scored the only singles point for BYU with a 7-6, 7-6 win on Court 5 against Anteater Brooke Schwever. The Cougars fell in straight sets on the other five courts.
The Cougars enter a two-week break after Saturday’s loss. Their next match will be Mar. 25 against Oregon.
BYU vs. UC Irvine
1. #77 Price/C. Craig (BYU) def. Holladay/Kwan (UCI) 8-4
2. Byron/Smith (UCI) def. Ezhova/Tran (BYU) 8-6
3. Carney/Paul (BYU) def. H. Young/M. Young (UCI) 8-5
1. Courtney Byron (UCI) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Becka Kwan (UCI) def. Elle Carney (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Callie Craig (BYU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) def. Brooke Schweyer (UCI) 7-6, 7-6
6. Hannah Holladay (UCI) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 6-0, 6-3