Kristina Doerr's wins on Saturday helped BYU defeat Kansas 7-0 (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO -- The No. 56 BYU women's tennis team won all six singles competitions and swept the doubles matches to blank the Kansas Jayhawks 7-0 on Saturday. With the win the Cougars improve to 7-6 on the season.
"We played really well and came together today," said BYU head coach Craig Manning. "This was our best performance of the year so far."
To start things off in doubles play, Elle Carney and Chie Hayasaka made quick work of their Kansas opponents to record the 8-3 win. The No. 37 duo of Jennifer Miccoli and Anastasia Surkova battled to defeat the Jayhawks' Elizaveta Avdeeva and Edina Horvath 8-6. No. 46 Dolly Chang and Kristina Doerr soon followed with their own 8-5 victory.
Surkova secured the first singles point for the Cougars as she defeated Avdeeva 6-2, 6-3. Doerr and Chang were the next to follow at the No. 2 and No. 4 positions, respectively. With the result of the match already decided, Hayasaka won a tough 7-6, 2-6, 10-4 tiebreaker against KU's Kunigunda Dorn.
With the final two matches underway, Elizaveta Ezhova easily defeated Lauren Hommell 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 5 position. After dropping her first set, Carney came back to win 6-7, 7-6, 10-4 and clinch the sweep for BYU.
"Our girls need some rest," said Manning. "We're pretty beat up. We played really well today and right now we just need a break to enjoy it."
The Cougars will have a week off before returning to action against South Carolina on March 13.
Kansas - 0
No. 56 BYU - 7
March 1, 2008
1. A. Sukova (BYU) def. E. Avdeeva (KU) 6-2, 6-3
2. K. Doerr (BYU) def. E. Horvath (KU) 6-3, 6-1
3. C. Hayasaka (BYU) def. K. Dorn (KU) 7-6, 2-6, 10-4
4. D. Chang (BYU) def. Y. Svistun (KU) 6-2, 6-2
5. E. Ezhova (BYU) def. L. Hommell (KU) 6-3, 6-1
6. E. Carney (BYU) def. M. Martinez (KU) 6-7, 7-6, 10-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6
1. Miccoli/Surkova (BYU) def. Horvath/Avdeeva (KU) 8-6
2. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Svistun/Martinez (KU) 8-5
3. Carney/Hayasaka (BYU) def. Hommell/Dorn (KU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2