Elle Carney clinched the match for BYU with a win on Court 3. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
Click to watch the video.
PROVO -- The BYU women’s tennis team recorded its first win in more than a month, defeating No. 63 Oregon Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts after a two-week break from matches.
“I’m really happy with the way we came out today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones Spencer. “We came out positive with a lot of energy. Practicing the last two weeks and not having matches gave us the chance to focus and reset.”
Elle Carney and Aubrey Paul, a native of Sandy, Utah, came out strong in doubles for BYU (5-7), delivering a sound defeat to Oregon’s Pascale Neubert and Lana Buttner on Court 3 (8-3). Oregon (7-9) tied the doubles score with a win on Court 1 against Cougars Callie Craig, of Orem, Utah, and Megan Price 8-5.
Elizaveta Ezhova and Desiree Tran stayed strong on Court 2, pushing the match against Ducks Julia Metzger and Trudie du Toit to a tiebreaker and winning 9-8 (3). The Court 2 match clinched the doubles point for BYU, putting the team ahead 1-0.
The Ducks put their first point on the board with Pavlina Smatova defeating Price 6-4, 6-0.
The Cougars responded with three singles wins in a row to take the match. Tran defeated Neubert in straight sets (6-4, 6-2), followed by Craig’s 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 win against Skowronski. Carney wrapped up the win with a 6-7, 6-3, 6-2 victory against Metzger.
BYU starts conference play on the road with a match against TCU April 1 at 2 p.m.
BYU vs. No. 63 Oregon
1. Skowronski/Smatova (UO) def. Craig/Price (BYU) 8-5
2. Ezhova/Tran (BYU) def. du Toit/Metzger (UO) 9-8 (3)
3. Carney/Paul (BYU) def. Neubert/Ruttner (UO) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Pavlina Smatova (UO) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Callie Craig (BYU) def. Patricia Skowronski (UO) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
3. Elle Carney (BYU) def. Julia Metzger (UO) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
4. Desiree Tran (BYU) def. Pascale Neubert (UO) 6-4, 6-2
5. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) vs. Trudie du Toit (UO) 6-2, 4-0 susp.
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) vs. Lana Buttner (UO) 6-7, 1-0 susp.
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 3