Callie Craig clinched the match with her singles win on Court 2. (Photo by Mark Philbrick/BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah -- Finishing off a successful weekend of conference play, the BYU women’s tennis team recorded its fourth-straight win with a 5-2 victory against No. 72 Wyoming Saturday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
“I’m very proud of the girls,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones Spencer said. “They improved a little bit every match this weekend and did a great job at playing their tennis.”
BYU (9-8, 4-1) took the doubles point with two matches. Callie Craig, a native of Orem, Utah, and Megan Price took down Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel 8-3 at the No. 1 position. Soon after, Elle Carney and Aubrey Paul, a Sandy, Utah native, defeated Veronica Popovici and Carly Van Hollen 8-1. Wyoming (10-6, 0-3) took the last match, an 8-4 win on Court 2.
Despite two rapid wins for Wyoming in singles, the Cougars rallied with four consecutive wins to take the match. Craig clinched the win with a singles match that stretched to three sets, finally overtaking Alexandra Kovacs 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 on Court 2. Carney tied the match with a 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 win against Synkova and Elizaveta Ezhova pushed the Cougars ahead in preparation for victory with a 6-1, 6-4 win against Rebecca Berger.
Wyoming’s two points came from Popovici’s 6-3, 6-4 win against Price on Court 1 and van Ginkel’s 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 win against Desiree Tran.
The Cougars face San Diego State Friday at 2 p.m. and UNLV Saturday at noon both in San Diego.
BYU vs. No. 72 Wyoming
1. Price/Craig (BYU) def. Synkova/van Ginkel (UW) 8-3
2. Berger/Kovacs (UW) def. Ezhova/Tran (BYU) 8-4
3. Carney/Paul (BYU) def. Popovici/Van Hollen (UW) 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Veronica Popovici (UW) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Callie Craig (BYU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Elle Carney (BYU) def. Simona Synkova (UW) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kim van Ginkel (UW) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU) def. Rebecca Berger (UW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Aubrey Paul (BYU) def. Sasa Nemcova (UW) 6-3, 1-6, (10-3)
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6