(Photo by BYU Photo)
PROVO, Utah – BYU women’s volleyball celebrated its 2013 season at the 11th annual Y Awards ceremony Wednesday night at the Marriott Center.
The women’s team was honored with two awards, Walk-on of the Year (Tia Withers Welling) and Female Crowd Pleaser (Tambre Haddock).
Additionally, Alexa Gray was nominated for Female Athlete of the Year and Whitney Young was nominated for Female Rookie of the Year.
Walk-on of the Year— Tia Withers Welling
This award is given to one non-scholarship athlete (male or female) at BYU who plays a significant role on his or her team.
· Posted double-figure digs in 17 matches while leading the team in that category during seven of those matches
· Recorded 325 digs during the season while averaging 2.71 per set
· Started in two matches and played in every set of the season
Other finalists: Riley Buer (women’s swimming), Jordan Schult (gymnastics), Logan Taele (football).
Female Crowd Pleaser— Tambre Haddock
Presented to the female athlete whose enthusiasm and outstanding performance have given extra excitement to the crowd.
· Recorded 18 double-doubles to lead the team while averaging 3.47 kills per set, second best on the team
· Averaged 2.74 digs per set, the second most on the team
· Started in every set of the season
Other finalists: Kelsey Brown (women’s track and field), Makenzie Johnson (gymnastics).