H.E.B. Tennis Center
1520 Shely Street Corpus Christi TX 78404
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, BYU 1
1. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Nagy/Barta (AMCC) 8-4
2. Smith/Fillmore (BYU) def. Westmoreland/Maingot (AMCC) 9-8(2)
3. Weidinger/Rauseo (AMCC) def. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) vs. Francis Sargeant (BYU) 5-7, 3-4 (DNF)
4. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) vs. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 5-7, 5-5 (DNF)
5. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. John Pearce (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 5, 6, 2
BYU 4, Western Michigan 2
1. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Nadin Indre (WMU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
2. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Spencer Smith (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
6. John Pearce (BYU) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 6-2, 7-5
PROVO, Utah - After earning three points towards the Deseret First Duel with a recent 5-2 win over Utah, the No. 30 BYU men's tennis team will compete in the 47th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions in Corpus Christi, Texas, Friday and Saturday.
The HEB Invitational is an eight-team tournament. Other teams who will participate are Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, No. 34 Middle Tennessee State, Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama, DePaul, Western Michigan and the University of Texas at San Antonio.
The Cougars (9-2) jumped 15 spots in the national ranking this week from No. 45 to No. 30.
In the month of February, sophomore Francis Sargeant earned a 5-1 record in singles play, with his only loss coming at No. 18 Stanford. Freshman Andrey Goryachkov also only recorded one loss in the month.
The tournament can be followed on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi's website.