Sam Tullis helps BYU top San Diego State 4-2
SAN DIEGO – Sophomore Sam Tullis clinched the final singles match 5-7, 6-0, 6-3 to help BYU men's tennis top San Diego State 4-2 at the Aztec Tennis Center Saturday night in San Diego.
“The infamous Vince Lombardi ‘The will to prepare to win’ quote characterizes this team,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “They paid the price on the practice court to be ready for this win today. Hats off to SDSU for battling to the last man, and my best goes to their coaching staff and players through the rest of the season.”
Undefeated doubles duo Matthew Pearce and David Ball helped BYU (5-0) clinch the doubles point over San Diego State (0-2) in a set tiebreaker 7-6 (6).
No. 1 doubles team Sean Hill and Jeffrey Hsu defeated Santiago Cevallos and Arnaud Restifo 6-3, while S. Tullis and Ben Gajardo fell to San Diego State in the No. 2 slot.
In singles play, Gajardo finished with a solid win over Jan Kirchhoff 6-3, 6-0 to give the Cougars momentum over the Aztecs. Hill earned a victory in No. 1 singles, but M. Pearce and Ball fell short in their matches. Tullis battled and solidified the BYU 4-2 win in a three-set match.
The Cougars host regional opponents Northern Arizona on Friday, Feb. 2, at 5:30 p.m. MST and Boise State on Saturday, Feb. 3, at 1:00 p.m. MST at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
BYU 4, SDS 2
- HILL, Sean/HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) def. CEVALLOS, Santiago/RESTIFO, Arnaud (SDS) 6-3
- MITCHELL, Nicholas/GJOELS-ANDERSON, Sander (SDS) def. TULLIS, Sam/GAJARDO, Ben (BYU) 6-4
- PEARCE, Matthew/BALL, David (BYU) def. DE LA TORRE, Raul/GONZALEZ ALMAZAN, Rafael (SDS) 7-6(6)
Order of finish (1, 2, 3)
- HILL, Sean (BYU) def. CEVALLOS, Santiago (SDS) 6-3, 7-5
- HSU, Jeffrey (BYU) vs. RESTIFO, Arnaud (SDS) 4-6, 7-6, 3-2 (DNF)
- TULLIS, Sam (BYU) def. GJOELS-ANDERSON, Sander (SDS) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
- POPOV, Joel (SDS) def. PEARCE, Matthew (BYU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
- GAJARDO, Ben (BYU) def. KIRCHHOFF, Jan (SDS) 6-3, 6-0
- MARTINEZ, Ignacio (SDS) def. BALL, David (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
Order of finish (5, 1, 4, 6, 3)
Men's tennis hits the road to face San Diego State
PROVO, Utah – Riding a 4-0 winning streak, BYU men’s tennis hits the road to take on San Diego State, Saturday.
BYU (4-0) picked up wins against Montana State and Weber State Saturday in a doubleheader. No. 89 Sean Hill earned victories over his opponents in singles. Returning team members John Pearce, Matthew Pearce and Sam Tullis led the Cougars with wins in both singles and doubles last weekend. Doubles duo M. Pearce and David Ball continue to see success with a 3-0 record this season.
The Aztecs open their season Saturday with a doubleheader including Loyola Marymount University and BYU. With seven returning players, San Diego State (0-0) has a deep lineup. The last Aztec-Cougar matchup was in 2014 when BYU fell to San Diego State 6-1.
Saturday’s match begins at 4 p.m. PST at the Aztec Tennis Center in San Diego, California. Results will be posted to the men’s schedule page.