Barnett seals BYU's 4-0 sweep over Utah
SALT LAKE CITY – Jack Barnett’s singles win sealed the 4-0 sweep for the BYU men’s tennis team over in-state rival University of Utah, Saturday at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
“I couldn’t be more proud of our guys today," BYU assistant coach Aidan Carrazedo said. "We have been so close all season and today we brought it on every single court. To not lose a set against a good Utah team is impressive, a total team effort across the board.”
The Cougars (6-7) got off to a strong start as they claimed the doubles point over the Utes (12-5). With all three BYU pairs up 5-4, it was a race to see which doubles duos would finish first.
Sam Tullis and Ben Gajardo grabbed the first 6-4 win over Slava Shainyan and Azat Hankuliyev at the No. 2 position. Mateo Vereau Melendez and Matheus Ferreira Leite finished next at No. 1 doubles, defeating Russell Benkaim and Randy Cory, 6-4.
In singles play, the Cougars won three consecutive matches to close out the dual with a 4-0 sweep.
At the No. 6 slot, Leite quickly defeated Wally Thayne 6-3, 6-3 and Tullis followed at the No. 4 position with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Mathias Gavelin. At No. 3 singles, Barnett took on Benkaim and came out on top with a 6-3, 7-5 win, concluding the match for BYU.
Up next, the Cougars continue their road stretch as they take on California Polytechnic State University on March 14, at 12 p.m. PDT.
Utah 0, BYU 4
1. Mateo Vereau/ Matheus Leite (BYU) def. #37 Russell Benkaim/Randy Cory (UU), 6-4
2. Sam Tullis/Ben Gajardo (BYU) def. Slava Shainyan/Azat Hankuliyev (UU), 6-4
3. Wally Thayne/Mathias Gavelin (UU) vs. Sean Hill/David Ball (BYU), 5-5, unf.
Order of finish: (2,1)
1. Sean Hill (BYU) vs. Franco Capalbo (UU), 7-6, 4-1, unf.
2. Mateo Vereau (BYU) vs. Slava Shainyan (UU), 6-3, 4-4, unf.
3. Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Russell Benkaim (UU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Mathias Gavelin (UU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Ben Gajardo (BYU) vs. Randy Cory (UU), 7-5, 6-5, unf.
6. Matheus Leite (BYU) def. Wally Thayne (UU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: (6, 4, 3)
PROVO, Utah – The BYU men’s tennis team faces in-state rival University of Utah on Saturday, March 7, at 2 p.m. MST at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
The Cougars enter the week with a 5-7 record on the season. Freshman Jack Barnett is fresh off his first accolade as the West Coast Conference Singles Player of the Week after taking down a senior from Denver in two sets. Senior Sean Hill currently sits at No. 2 in BYU’s all-time career singles win percentage with .750.
The Utes (12-4) are coming off two wins at home, one being a close 4-3 victory over WCC foe Loyola Marymount. BYU currently holds the advantage over Utah with a 15-8 overall record, going 8-4 on the Utes’ home courts.
A live stream will be available on the men’s tennis schedule page and results will be updated following the match.