BYU picks up second straight road victory, taking down UC Davis
DAVIS, Calif. – After beating Nevada the day before, BYU men’s tennis came away with its second win of the weekend against UC Davis at the Marya Welch Tennis Center on Saturday.
“I am thrilled about the performance of the team today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “We played with an injured Jack Barnett and without another important player, Brigham Andrus, who will have knee surgery on Wednesday. We fought together and came out with another Cougar victory.”
With a dominating score of 6-0, Jack Barnett and Tennyson Whiting won the first doubles match at No. 1 doubles. No. 3 doubles fell 1-6 to their Aggie opponents, leaving the deciding point up to the No. 2 squad. In a closely-fought battle, No. 2 doubles duo, Zach Fuchs and Wally Thayne came out on top at 7-5 to win the doubles point for the Cougars.
In singles play, Mateo Vereau finished strong in a 6-3, 6-2 match to earn the first singles point for BYU. At No. 2 singles, senior Leite fell 6-2, 6-2 to give UC Davis their first point. Up 2-1, the Cougars earned their third point in a 6-4, 6-4 win by Alex Lin at No. 5 singles to put BYU at 3-1.
Coming out strong at No. 6 singles, Fuchs won the first set 6-4 for the Cougars. Coleton Hootman of UCD fought back valiantly winning the second set 6-4. Into a third set, Fuchs tied the match at 4-4. At 30-30 Fuchs had two aces to end it, coming away with the third set win and secured the 4-1 match victory for the Cougars.
No. 1 and No. 4 singles matches went unfinished.
BYU will continue on the road next weekend, facing UC Santa Barbara on Friday, March 5 and Cal Poly on Saturday, March 6.
1. Jack Barnett/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Andrei Volgin/Mitchell Davis (UCD) 6-0
2. Wally Thayne/Zach Fuchs (BYU) def. Ryan Torres/Ryan Morgan (UCD) 7-5
3. Brett Brinkman/Andras Necz (UCD) def. Mat Ferreira Leite/Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-1
1. Andrei Volgin (UCD) vs. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-4, 6-7, unfinished
2. Ryan Torres (UCD) def. Mat Ferreira Leite (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Brett Brinkman (UCD) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andras Necz (UCD) vs. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
5. Alex Lin (BYU) def. Mitchell Davis (UCD) 6-4, 6-4 6.
6. Zach Fuchs (BYU) def. Coleton Hootman (UCD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
BYU Visits Nevada and UC Davis
PROVO, Utah – On the road again, BYU men’s tennis will travel to Reno to face University of Nevada on Friday, Feb. 25, and to UC Davis on Saturday Feb. 26.
BYU Notes: (2-2)
- The Cougars are 2-2 this season after a loss last weekend to New Mexico (3-2).
- Men’s tennis came out on top of the Weber State Wildcats and Grand Canyon Antelopes, winning both matches by a score of 6-1.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach- Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 16-8 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,426-196
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (3-3)
Jack Barnett (1-4)
Zach Fuchs (4-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (4-2)
Dominik Jakovljevic (1-2)
Wally Thayne (3-4)
Mateo Vereau (2-4)
Tennyson Whiting (2-1)
Alex Lin (1-0)
Otto Schreiner (1-1)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (6-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (2-2)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (0-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (4-0)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (2-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
University of Nevada Notes: (8-3)
- The Wolf Pack is 8-3 this season.
- University of New Nevada has taken losses from Gonzaga (0-4), Idaho State (1-6), and University of Utah (0-4).
- The Wolf Pack came out on top of San Diego Christian (4-0), UC San Diego (6-1), Seattle University (6-1), Idaho (4-3), UC Davis (4-3), Holy Names University (7-0), and Linfield University (4-0)
- BYU leads the series against Nevada 9-1.
Head Coach- Sylvian Malroux
- This is Malroux’s sixth season coaching at Nevada.
Nevada Match Information: Friday, Feb. 25
- Time: TBD
- Live Stats
UC Davis Notes: (9-4)
- The Aggies are 9-4 this season.
- UC Davis fell to USC (0-7) in its opening match of the season. UC Davis have also lost to Loyola Marymount (2-5), Nevada (3-4) and Stanford (0-4).
- The Aggies came out on top of Biola University (6-1), Hope International (6-0), American River College (7-0), Sacramento State (4-3), Saint Mary’s (6-1), Holy Names (7-0), San Francisco (4-3), Santa Clara (6-1) and William Jessup (7-0).
- BYU is tied in the series against UC Davis 1-1.
Head Coach- Eric Steidlmayer
- Alma Mater: UC San Diego, 1996
- This is Steidlmayer’s 10th season at UC Davis
UC Davis Match Information – Saturday, Feb. 26
- Time: TBD
- Live Stats