Heavy winds in BYU’s 4-0 loss to UC Santa Barbara
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — Playing in gusts of wind up to 40 mph, BYU men’s tennis suffered a tough 4-0 loss to UC Santa Barbara on Friday at the Arnhold Tennis Center.
“I am proud of the fight we put up today,” said BYU head coach Dave Porter. “The conditions were challenging, but for the most part we played acceptably well.”
The Gauchos claimed the doubles point after a come-from-behind win at No. 3 doubles. Jack Barnett and Tennyson Whiting fell 6-1 to their UCSB opponents at No. 1 doubles. At No. 2 doubles, the Cougars were on serve when the doubles point was decided. Wally Thayne and Dominik Jakovljevic trailed closely behind UCSB 5-4, ending their match unfinished.
In singles play, BYU played without Brigham Andrus who recently underwent knee surgery, and Zach Fuchs who is recovering from a stress fracture. Both senior Matheus Leite and sophomore Alex Lin dropped matches to give UCSB a 3-0 lead. With Mateo Verueau and Dominik Jakovljevic losing their first sets in tiebreakers, and Thayne serving for the second set, an injured Jack Barnett dropped his singles match to give the Gauchos the overall 4-0 win.
The Cougars “played well but need to learn how to make adjustments,” said Porter. “It is difficult coming from high altitude and indoors to low altitude and windy conditions. Some of us adjusted better than others, but we will be ready for tomorrow against Cal Poly.”
No. 2, 4 and 5 singles matches went unfinished.
The Cougars will travel to San Luis Obispo to face Cal Poly tomorrow at 12 p.m. PST. Live stats will be available.
1. Phillip Jordan/Kai Brady (UCSB) def. Jack Barnett/Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-1
2. Stefano Tsorotiotis/Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) vs. Wally Thayne/Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 5-4, unfinished
3. Pablo Masjuan/Gianluca Brunkow (UCSB) def. Matheus Ferreira Lei/Mateo Vereau (BYU) 7-5
1. Phillip Jordan (UCSB) def. Jack Barnett (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Pablo Masjuan (UCSB) vs. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
3. Stefano Tsorotiotis (UCSB) def. Matheus Ferreira Lei (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Victor Krustev (UCSB) vs. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 7-6 (7-5), unfinished
5. Kai Brady (UCSB) vs. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-6 (7-3), unfinished
6. Alejandro Vedri (UCSB) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
Cougar tennis begins two-game road trip on Friday at UC Santa Barbara
PROVO, Utah – After two road wins last weekend, the Cougars will face UC Santa Barbara on Friday, March 4 and Cal Poly on Saturday, March 5. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. PST.
BYU Notes: (4-3)
- The Cougars are 4-3 this season after two wins on the road this weekend against University of Nevada (4-3) and UC Davis (4-1).
- Men’s tennis came out on top of the Weber State Wildcats and Grand Canyon Antelopes, winning both matches by a score of 6-1.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach- Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 18-8 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,428-196
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (3-3)
Jack Barnett (1-4)
Zach Fuchs (4-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (4-4)
Dominik Jakovljevic (2-2)
Wally Thayne (4-2)
Mateo Vereau (2-4)
Tennyson Whiting (2-1)
Alex Lin (1-1)
Otto Schreiner (1-1)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (6-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (2-2)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (0-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (6-0)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (2-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
Mateo Vereau & Matheus Leite (1-1)
UC Santa Barbara Notes: (7-4)
- The Gauchos are 7-4 this season after a 4-1 win last weekend against Cal Poly.
- Santa Barbara has taken losses from University of Utah (1-4), San Diego (1-6), UCLA (1-6) and Arizona State (1-4).
- The Gauchos came out on top of San Francisco (5-2), Loyola Marymount (4-3), Texas San Antonio (6-1), Pacific (7-0), San Diego State (4-2) and Utah State (4-0).
- BYU leads the series against Santa Barbara 8-5.
Head Coach- Blake Muller
- Alma Mater: Stanford, 2009
- This is Muller’s eighth season coaching at Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara Match Information – Friday, March 4
- Time: 12 p.m. PDT
- Live Stream
- Live stats will not be available
Cal Poly Notes: (7-3)
- The Mustangs are 7-3 this season after 1-4 loss to UC Santa Barbara and a 0-4 loss to University of Memphis last weekend.
- Cal Poly also fell to Sacramento State (2-4).
- The Mustangs came out on top of University of San Francisco (6-1), Saint Mary’s (5-2), Pacific (4-1), Loyola Marymount (5-2), San Diego State (4-2), University of Las Vegas (5-2) and University of South Florida (4-1).
- BYU is tied in the series against Cal Poly 2-2.
Head Coach- Nick Carless
- Alma Mater: Fresno, 2005.
- This is Carless’s tenth season at Cal Poly with 137 victories in total.
Cal Poly Match Information– Saturday, March 5
- Time: 12 p.m. PDT
- Live Stats