Outdoor Tennis Courts
150 E Provo UT 84602
Cougars battle for 4-3 win over Utah State
PROVO, Utah – With a come from behind win, BYU men’s tennis came out on top 4-3 over Utah State on Saturday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
“I am very proud of our team today,” said head coach Dave Porter. “They came out playing terrific doubles, and even when we were down a few matches in singles, they fought back. Matheus had a great win at No. 1 and Dominik and Tennyson fought through the third sets to give us a 4-3 Cougar win. We are looking forward to going down to San Diego next week and hoping our sick and injured players will be back with us by then.”
Starting with doubles play, doubles duo Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau came out with the first win at No. 1 doubles, beating their Utah State opponents 6-4. Following close behind with a 6-3 win, Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting secured the doubles point and first point of the match for BYU.
Utah State fought back with a win at No. 2 singles to get its first point. With the match tied 1-1, No. 4 and 5 singles fell for BYU to give the Aggies their second and third points. Fighting back at No. 1 singles, Leite came out strong with a 6-3 first set win and breaking in the first game of his second set. Continuing the momentum into the second set, Leite took the win in a tiebreaker 7-5.
With Utah State up 3-2, both No. 6 and 3 came back after first set losses to win their second set. Whiting at No. 6 singles, came out on top with a 6-2 win in his third set to tie the match for the Cougars and leaving the deciding point up to Jakovljevic. At No. 3 singles, Jakovljevic battled to the end coming out with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 win to secure the 4-3 win for BYU.
BYU men’s tennis will travel to San Diego next week to face UC San Diego on Thursday and University of San Diego on Saturday.
Brigham Young University 4, Utah State 3
- Matheus Leite (BYU) def. David Cierny (USU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
- Bodin Zarkovic (USU) def. Mateo Vereau (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
- Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) def. Felipe Acosta (USU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 4.
- Sergi Mico Fenollar (USU) def. Otto Schreiner (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Roko Savin (USU) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
- Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Javier Ruiz (USU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Matheus Leite and Mateo Vereau (BYU) def. Javier Ruiz and Jack Ninteman (USU) 6-4
- Otto Schreiner and Alex Lin (BYU) vs. Felipe Acosta and Bodin Zarkovic (USU) 4-5
- Dominik Jakovljevic and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) def. Sergi Mico Fenollar and Gabriel Chavez (USU) 6-3
Order of finish: Singles -- 2 4 5 1 6 3 ; Doubles -- 1 3 Start Time: 12 p.m
BYU Men's Tennis to play Gonzaga and Utah State at home
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis will be home again this week, hosting Gonzaga on Friday, March 25 and Utah State on Saturday, March 26. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MDT at the Outdoor Tennis Courts.
BYU Notes: (6-5)
- The Cougars are 6-5 this season after two at home wins this last weekend against University of Idaho (4-2) and University of Portland (4-2).
- Men’s tennis also suffered two away losses against UC Santa Barbara (4-0) and Cal Poly (4-0).
- BYU came out with two on the road wins against University of Nevada (4-3) and UC Davis (4-1).
- BYU has also lost to Boise State in a close 4-3 match and to New Mexico (3-2).
- Men’s tennis came out on top of the Weber State Wildcats and Grand Canyon Antelopes, winning both matches by a score of 6-1.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach- Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 20-10 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,430-198
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (1-2)
Jack Barnett (1-3)
Zach Fuchs (3-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (4-6)
Dominik Jakovljevic (3-1)
Wally Thayne (4-3)
Mateo Vereau (4-3)
Tennyson Whiting (0-1)
Alex Lin (2-2)
Otto Schreiner (3-0)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (3-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (4-2)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (1-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
Mateo Vereau & Matheus Leite (3-3)
Gonzaga Notes (WCC): (11-3)
- The Bulldogs are 11-3 this season after two wins last weekend against Montana (4-0) and Boise State (4-0).
- Gonzaga has also come out on top of Seattle (4-0), Nevada (4-0), Montana State (4-0), Utah State (4-3), Idaho (6-1), San Diego State (4-3), Boston College (7-0) and UC Riverside (6-1).
- The Bulldogs have taken losses from Utah (1-4), San Diego (0-4) and Denver (3-4).
- Gonzaga is 0-1 in the WCC.
- BYU leads the series against Gonzaga 7-2.
Head Coach- D.J. Gurule
- Alma Mater: Pacific Luthern University
- This is Gurule’s 15th season at Gonzaga
Gonzaga Match Information – Friday, March 25
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats
Utah State Notes: (6-8)
- The Aggies are 6-8 this season after a home loss last weekend to Portland (3-4).
- Utah State has also lost to Washington (0-7), Gonzaga (3-4), Drake (3-4), UC Santa Barbara (0-4), Rice (3-4) and Loyola Marymount (3-4).
- The Aggies came out on top of Portland State (7-0) and Montana State (6-1) this season.
- BYU leads the series against Utah State 51-4.
Head Coach- Aaron Paajanen
- Alma Mater: Point Loma Nazarene
- Record at Utah State: 12-8 (Season 4)
Utah State Match Information– Saturday, March 26
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats