Outdoor Tennis Courts
150 E Provo UT 84602
BYU Men's Tennis falls 4-0 to LMU on Senior Night
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s tennis fell 4-0 against Loyola Marymount on Friday at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
Coming out strong in doubles, Matheus Leite and Jack Barnett took the 6-3 win over their Lion opponents, Manel De Alencar and John Otico. At No. 1 doubles, Tennyson Whiting and Wally Thayne fought hard against LMU’s Jose Dominiquez and Toky Ranaivo but eventually fell 6-3. With the deciding match up to No. 3 doubles, Alex Lin and Dominik Jakovljevic fought for BYU. Lin and Jakovljevic took their team to 4-4 before eventually falling 6-4 to Emin Torlic and Austin Di Giulio.
With the Lions leading by one, senior Leite earned the Cougars a strong 6-3 first set win at No. 2 singles. In a close back and forth battle at No. 3 singles, Jakovljevic pulled out the first set win 6-4. Loyola continued to be a strong competitor taking wins at No. 4 and 1 singles. Down by 3, BYU continued to fight back. With a loss in his first set to Arthur Pantino, Otto Schreiner came from behind in his second set to tie the score 6-6. Whiting at No. 6 singles, faced a loss in his first set, only to come from behind in the second from 1-5 beating his opponent in six match points. With their second set at 6-6, Whiting and Torlic fought for the second set. Whiting eventually fell 7-4 in the tiebreak to give Loyola Marymount the fourth point and match win.
The Cougars will travel to California next week to face Pacific on Friday, April 22 and Saint Mary’s on Saturday, April 23.
Loyola Marymount 4, Brigham Young University 0
- Dane Esses (LMUM) def. Wally Thayne (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
- Matheus Leite (BYU) vs. Jose Dominiquez (LMUM) 6-3, 1-6, 3-2 3.
- Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) vs. John Otico (LMUM) 6-4, 1-4
- Manoel De Alencar (LMUM) def. Alex Lin (BYU) 6-3, 6-0
- Otto Schreiner (BYU) vs. Arthur Pantino (LMUM) 3-6, 6-6 (1-2)
- Emin Torlic (LMUM) def. Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
- Jose Dominiquez and Toky Ranaivo (LMUM) def. Wally Thayne and Tennyson Whiting (BYU) 6-3
- Matheus Leite and Jack Barnett (BYU) def. Manoel De Alencar and John Otico (LMUM) 6-3
- Emin Torlic and Austin Di Giulio (LMUM) def. Alex Lin and Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-4
Order of finish: Singles -- 4 1 6 ; Doubles -- 2 1 3
BYU to host Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount in last two home matches
PROVO, Utah — BYU men’s tennis hosts their last two home matches of the season this week against Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount. The Pepperdine match will be on Thursday, April 14 and the LMU match will be Saturday, April 16. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 12 p.m. MST at the BYU Outdoor Tennis Courts.
BYU Notes: (8-9)
- The Cougars are 8-9 this season after two losses on the road last weekend against San Francisco (0-4) and Santa Clara (1-4).
- BYU has also taken losses from Boise State (3-4), New Mexico (0-4), UC Santa Barbara (0-4), Cal Poly (0-4), Gonzaga (1-4) and San Diego (0-4).
- BYU had two home wins in a row against University of Idaho (4-2) and University of Portland (4-2).
- The Cougars have also come out on top of Weber State (6-1), Grand Canyon (6-1), Nevada (4-3), UC Davis (4-1) and Utah State (4-3).
- BYU is 1-4 in West Coast Conference play.
- BYU kicked off its 2021-22 season at the Hawai’i Invitational on Jan. 6-8. The Cougars were 8-1 in doubles and 9-12 in singles for an overall record of 17 wins and 13 losses.
Head Coach - Dave Porter
- Alma Mater: BYU, 1975
- Division 1 Coaching Record: 22-14 (2nd Season)
- Record at BYU: Same
- Overall collegiate coaching record: 1,432-202
BYU Singles Record
Brigham Andrus (1-2)
Jack Barnett (1-3)
Zach Fuchs (3-1)
Matheus Ferreira Leite (5-8)
Dominik Jakovljevic (4-2)
Wally Thayne (4-5)
Mateo Vereau (4-3)
Tennyson Whiting (1-2)
Alex Lin (3-4)
Otto Schreiner (3-4)
BYU Doubles Record
Brigham Andrus & Matheus Ferreira Leite (3-1)
Zach Fuchs & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Mateo Vereau & Wally Thayne (1-1)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Mateo Vereau, (1-0)
Jack Barnett & Tennyson Whiting (4-2)
Jack Barnett & Wally Thayne (1-0)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Alex Lin (1-0)
Mateo Vereau & Matheus Leite (6-3)
Dominik Jakovljevic & Tennyson Whiting (0 & 1)
Otto Schreiner & Alex Lin (1 & 2)
Pepperdine Notes: (13-5)
- The Waves are 13-5 this season after two wins last weekend to Gonzaga (4-0) and Portland (4-1).
- Pepperdine has also come out on top of Arizona (5-2), Oklahoma State (4-2), Arizona State (4-3), UCLA (4-1), USC (4-2), Nebraska (4-0), Penn (5-2), Harvard (4-3), Loyola Marymount (4-0), Pacific (4-1) and Saint Mary’s (4-0).
- The Waves have taken losses from Stanford (2-5), Harvard (3-4), Tulsa (3-4), Oregon (3-4) and Texas (2-5).
- Pepperdine leads the series 18-2.
Head Coach - Adam Schaechterle
- Alma Mater: Northwestern University
- This is Schaechterle’s third season at Pepperdine.
- Record at Pepperdine: 38-20
Pepperdine Match Information – Thursday, April 14
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats
Loyola Marymount Notes: (5-15)
- The Lions are 5-15 this season after two losses last weekend to Portland (3-4) and Gonzaga (3-4).
- LMU has also taken losses from UC Santa Barbara (3-4), Utah (3-4), Texas Tech (1-4), Cal Poly (2-5), San Diego (0-4), Oregon (0-4), UC Irvine (0-4), Denver (1-4), Boise State (1-6), Pepperdine (0-4), Saint Mary’s (1-4) and Pacific (2-4).
- The Lions came out on top of UC Davis (5-2), San Diego State (4-1), Utah State (4-3), DePaul University (6-1) and Dartmouth College (6-1).
- BYU leads the series against Loyola Marymount 7-6.
Head Coach - Tom Lloyd
- Alma Mater: Arizona
- This is Lloyd’s eighth season at LMU.
Loyola Marymount Match Information– Saturday, April 16
- Time: 12 p.m. MDT
- Live Stats