Tournament Central: ITA Bedford Cup in the Mountains
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Day one of the ITA Bedford Cup in the Mountains is in the books, with junior Alex Lin and freshman Redd Owen securing wins for the Cougars. Four BYU men's tennis players are competing in the tournament hosted by the U.S. Air Force Academy this weekend.
For Saturday's day two, this page and the team's social media accounts will be updated throughout the day with pairings, match times, results and other live updates as they are made available.
For singles, Dominik Jakovljevic is playing in the lightning draw. Redd Owen is in the raptor draw, while Brian Chen and Alex Lin are in the eagle draw. Jakovljevic and Lin are partnering for doubles play, as are Chen and Owen.
All four Cougars were in action early. Lin recorded the team's first win of the 2022-23 season with his straight-straight singles victory over New Mexico State's Roko Stipetic. Freshmen Chen and Owen made their BYU debuts, with Owen securing his first career victory with a straight-set singles match of his own.
Jakovljevic represented BYU in the competition's top singles flight, where he dropped close matches to Utah's Bruno Krenn and Weber State's Sebastian Buxman. All four Cougars were also able to open their doubles seasons on Friday.
- Dylan Applegate (Utah) def. Brian Chen (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
- Bruno Krenn (Utah) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
- No. 4 Alex Lin (BYU) bye to next round
- No. 1 Anish Sriniketh (Denver) def. Redd Owen (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
- Brian Chen (BYU) bye to next round
- No. 3 Sebastian Buxman (Weber State) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- No. 4 Alex Lin (BYU) def. Roko Stipetic (New Mexico State) 6-3, 6-4
- Redd Owen (BYU) def. Kyle Garner (Air Force) 6-2, 6-2
- Eskic/Papajcik (Denver) def. Jakovljevic/Lin (BYU) 6-3
- Vroman/Waldman (Air Force) def. Owen/Chen (BYU) 7-5
- Jakovljevic/Lin (BYU) bye to next round
- Relik/Huppin (Montana State) def. Owen/Chen (BYU) 6-2
- Brian Chen (BYU) def. Henrik Lynum (New Mexico State) 6-4, 6-4
- Mitch Johnson (Denver) def. No. 4 Alex Lin (BYU) 6-0, 6-1
- Brian Chen (BYU) def. Alex Asenov (Idaho) 6-1, 5-7, 10-6
- Arjun Kersten (Air Force) def. Dominik Jakovljevic (BYU) 6-4, 7-5
- No. 4 Alex Lin (BYU) def. No. 1 Raffaello Papajcik (Denver) 6-4, 6-7 (5), 10-7
- Corey Clarke (New Mexico State) def. Redd Owen (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
- Jakovljevic/Lin (BYU) def. Applegate/Spina (Utah) 6-2
- Masala/Asenov (Idaho) def. Jakovljevic/Lin (BYU) 6-3
- Owen/Chen (BYU) def. Kurata/Ramesh (Idaho) 6-2
Men's tennis to open season at ITA Bedford Cup in the Mountains
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Four Cougars are at the U.S. Air Force Academy this weekend to open the 2022-23 BYU men’s tennis season. The ITA Bedford Cup in the Mountains features singles and doubles draws for players from nine schools.
BYU’s Brian Chen, Dominik Jakovljevic, Alex Lin and Redd Owen will compete in singles on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 23-24. Jakovljevic and Lin will team up for open doubles play on those same days, as will Owen and Chen.
Schedule and Results
On both Friday and Saturday, doubles play will be at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. MDT, while singles play gets underway at 9:45 a.m. and 2:15 p.m.
Pairings, start times and results for the Cougars will be announced on the team’s social media accounts as they are made available. BYU results will also be added to a tournament updates page, while every result from the cup will be posted on the ITA website.
Singles and doubles champions will be determined based on the individual winners of single-elimination brackets, as opposed to a collective school score. Consolation matches will also be held.
The tournament concludes on Sunday, Sept. 25. The Cougars will only compete in the first two days of the competition because of BYU’s longstanding policy of not competing on Sunday due to religious observance.
The freshman from Changhua, Taiwan will be making his BYU debut this weekend. Chen was the top-ranked player in Taiwan for his age group when he was 14 before focusing on academics throughout high school.
A junior from Bellevue, Wash., Jakovljevic has 24 career singles appearances. He has also made seven career doubles appearances, three of which were with Lin last season.
Lin is also a junior, joining the Cougars in 2020 as a five-star recruit. The Gold River, Cali. native has 13 singles and 10 doubles appearances for BYU.
Owen will join Chen in making his BYU debut in Colorado. The former five-star recruit at Brighton High School in Sandy, Utah recently returned from serving a full-time, two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in West Virginia and Benin.
Head coach Dave Porter is in his third season at BYU. He previously spent 33 years at BYU–Hawaii (1984-2017), where he won 11 national championships.
Assistant coach Rong Ma joined the staff before the 2021-22 season. He played for Coach Porter at BYU–Hawaii and also spent five years as an assistant for his alma mater.
BYU and tournament hosts Air Force will be joined by Boise State, Denver, Idaho, Montana State, New Mexico State, Utah and Weber State. Matches will be played on the USAFA Intercollegiate Outdoor Tennis Courts.
Fans wishing to attend in-person can do so free of charge. Free parking can be accessed through the Academy’s north gate, which will require a photo ID for entrance.
Singles matches are best-of-three sets, with a full third set played in the main draw. A 10-point tiebreaker will be in effect for consolation matches. Doubles matches will consist of one first-to-six games set.