Hand Wins Sixth in a Row, BYU Falls on the Road
PROVO -- After upsetting Stanford on the road Monday, the No. 69 BYU men's tennis team fell to No. 70 Santa Clara on the road Tuesday.
Although senior Chip Hand won his sixth singles match in a row, the team as a whole was not able to duplicate the road success they had accomplished the day before.
The two other seniors on the team, James Ludlow and Dominik Kaufhold, won as a doubles team in no. 1 doubles, but the Cougars dropped the other two doubles matches and the team doubles point.
Kaufhold took his singles match to three sets as did junior Jonathan Sanchez, but the other three losses came in straight sets.
BYU finishes non-conference play with a record of 9-9 while Santa Clara improves to 14-5. This year's non-conference schedule featured BYU wins over No. 60 Denver and No. 61 Stanford, as well as a trip to the regional playoffs and close matches against No. 19 Boise State and No. 17 Washington, all on the road. The Cougars also hosted and put up a strong fight against No. 13 Texas, last year's NCAA runner-up.
Tuesday marked BYU's second match of a five-match road trip and the last match before Mountain West Conference play begins on Thursday. The Cougars' will play their next three matches at San Diego State University against UNLV, New Mexico and No. 74 TCU on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, respectively.
No. 69 BYU at No. 70 Santa Clara
1. Dominik Kaufhold/James Ludlow (BYU) def. Bobby Rasmussen/Jan Macek (SCU) 8-3
2. Blane Shields/Robert Gallman (SCU) def. Christian Hand/Jonathan Sanchez (SCU) 8-6
3. Brian Brogan/Jay Wong (SCU) def. Cassidy Mears/Cale Planck (BYU) 8-4
Santa Clara wins doubles point
1. Jan Macek (SCU) def. No. 105 James Ludlow (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Dominik Kaufhold (BYU) 6-1, 6-7 (4), 6-4
3. Chip Hand (BYU) def. Jay Wong (SCU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) 6-3, 6-7 (3), 1-0 (7)
5. Robert Gallman (SCU) def. Cale Planck (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Blane Shields (SCU) def. Michael Eraso (BYU) 7-6 (7), 6-1
Santa Clara wins 6-1