Quarterfinal Victory Means Aztecs Next In MWC Men's Tennis
Colorado Springs, CO. -- With the score tied 3-3, the win came down to the no. 1 singles where two great players battled to a three-set tie breaker before BYU's James Ludlow lifted his team with a 5-7, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (1) for a 4-3 victory over no. 4 seed New Mexico, Thursday, in the first day of the 2007 MWC Men's Tennis Championships.
"The tie breaker in the three set no. 1 singles match has to be one of the best I've seen in my entire tennis career,'" said head coach Brad Pearce.
No. 5 seed BYU won the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead over New Mexico after winning the no. 2 and no. 3 doubles matches 8-5, 8-6 respectively.
The Lobos came right back to tie the score at 1-1 after a win at no. 3 singles. Graeme Kassautzki defeated the Cougars Dominik Kaufhold in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. A few minutes later UNM took a 2-1 advantage with another win at the no. 5 singles position. Chris Parkes defeated BYU's Cassidy Mears 6-2, 6-3.
"This was a great win between two very tough competitors," said Pearce. "I know from a coaches perspective that neither one of us wanted to have either team lose," he added.
BYU also picked wins at no. 4 singles where Jonathan Sanchez rallied for a 6-4, 7-6 (6) win. Cole Clanck also won at the no. 6 position in another tough three set match 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 over the Lobos' Kamil Pajkowski.
The Cougars improved to 12-13 on the season and will play no. 1 seed and MWC Regular Season Champs San Diego State on Friday at 10 a.m. on the Air Force Academy campus.
Match Results: BYU- 4; UNM-3
1. Jones/Pajkowski UNM, Ludlow/Kaufhold, BYU 7-6 (DNF)
2. Hand/Sanchez, BYU def. J. Parkes/C. Parkes, UNM -- 8-5
3. Mears/Planck, BYU def. Kassautzki/Brass, UNM -- 8-6
BYU 1-0 with wins in doubles.
1. James Ludlow, BYU def. Max Jones, UNM def. 5-7, 7-6 (1), 7-6 (1) *
2. Johnny Parkes, UNM def. Chip Hand BYU 6-4, 3-6, 6-7, (1)
3. Graeme Kassautzki, UNM def. Dominik Kaufhold, BYU, 6-2, 3-6, 2-6
4. Jonathan Sanchez, BYU def Miles Bugby, UNM 6-4, 7-6 (6)
5. Chris Parkes UNM, def. Cassidy Mears BYU 2-6, 3-6
6. Cale Planck, BYU def. Kamil Pajkowski, UNM 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
*Clinched the match after the score was tied 3-3.