Cougars Fall Short of Upset
DENVER -- The BYU men's tennis team lost a tough 4-3 match to No. 59 Denver late Saturday night. With the loss, the Cougars fall to 6-3 on the season, while DU improves to 9-1.
The Pioneers clinched their sixth straight win by securing the doubles point and three consecutive singles matches. At the No. 3 position, Cassidy Mears and Evan Urbina posted the Cougars only doubles win.
With the outcome of the match already decided, BYU continued its tough play, winning the final three singles matches. Mears led the way after pulling out a 6-4, 7-5 win over DU's Andrew Landwerlen. After losing the first set, Thomas Shubert came back to take the second set and the tie-breaker, recording a 4-6, 6-4, 10-2 win.
BYU's final win came at the No. 5 position, with Daniel Hwang defeating Benny Althaus 6-4, 6-4.
The Cougars will be back in action next weekend as they travel to take on Arizona and Arizona State.
Brigham Young vs Denver
Feb 23, 2008 at Denver, Colo.
#59 Denver 4, Brigham Young 3
1. #11 Adam Holmstrom (DEN) def. Jonathan Sanchez (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Thomas Shubert (BYU) def. Niklas Persson (DEN) 4-6, 6-4, 10-2
3. David Simson (DEN) def. Evan Urbina (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Cassidy Mears (BYU) def. Andrew Landwerlen (DEN) 6-4, 7-5
5. Daniel Hwang (BYU) def. Benny Althaus (DEN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Kalle Rosen (DEN) def. Tom Young (BYU) 6-3, 6-0
1. #7 Adam Holmstrom/Niklas Persson (DEN) def. Jonathan Sanchez/Tom
Young (BYU) 8-4
2. Andrew Landwerlen/Benny Althaus (DEN) def. Daniel Hwang/Thomas
Shubert (BYU) 8-5
3. Cassidy Mears/Evan Urbina (BYU) def. David Simson/Kalle Rosen (DEN)
Brigham Young 6-3
Denver 9-1; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,3,4,2,5)
BYU Visits Ranked Denver
PROVO -- BYU's men's tennis team will hit the road again this weekend to take on the No. 58 University of Denver on Saturday. The 6-2 Cougars currently hold the program's best season-record start since the 2000 season.
BYU just returned home from a three-match trip to southern California where the team posted a 2-1 record. The weekend ended with a 6-1 win over Azusa Pacific.
The Pioneers are on a four-match winning streak, most recently cruising to a 7-0 win over Northern Arizona. No. 11 Adam Holstrom leads DU in singles play, along with the No. 7 duo of Holstrom and Niklas Persson in doubles competition.
The match is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. MT at the Meadow Creek Tennis Club.