Cougars Split Matches at Boise Invite
BOISE -- The BYU men's tennis team split its two matches played at the Boise State Spring Break Invitational on Friday. After a convincing 4-2 win over Nevada early in the morning, the Cougars advanced to the semi-final round, but fell 4-1 to No. 65 Wichita State. BYU is now 11-6 on the season.
In the first round against Nevada, Thomas Shubert and Daniel Hwang dropped their first sets in singles play, only to come back and force third sets to win. The freshmen posted wins on the second and fourth courts, respectively.
A.J. Young also won a tough three-set match, his against Guerin Smith at the No. 6 position (6-1, 4-6, 6-1), as Evan Urbina handily defeated Gabe Kanzelmeyer 6-3, 6-1.
No doubles matches were played in this match.
Against Wichita State, who has suffered only one loss on the season, the Cougars' lone win came at the hands of Urbina. The Huntington Beach native downed his opponent in straight sets (6-4, 6-2) for the second match of the day.
At No. 1 singles, senior Jonathan Sanchez dropped a 7-5, 6-0 match to Tiago Espirito Santo. Hwang and Cassidy Mears suffered the Cougars' other two losses in singles play.
In doubles, Sanchez and Young teamed up for an 8-3 win over the Shocker's No. 1 duo of Espirito Santo and Adrian Chermaci. Shubert and Hwang lost a close 8-5 match on the second court, while Urbina and Mears were edged out 8-6 at No. 3.
Tomorrow the Cougars take on Yale in the semi-finals back draw at 11 a.m. MT.
BYU def. Nevada, 4-2
March 21, 2008 - Boise, Idaho
1. L. Garcin (UNR) def. J. Sanchez (BYU) 6-2, 6-0
2. T. Shubert (BYU) def. B. David (UNR) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
3. A. Daruty (UNR) def. C. Mears (BYU) 6-0, 6-1
4. D. Hwang (BYU) def. K. Kuharszky (UNR) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. E. Urbina (BYU) def. G. Kanzelmeyer (UNR) 6-3, 6-1
6. A. Young (BYU) def. G. Smith (UNR) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
1. Sanchez/A. Young (BYU) vs. David/Smith (UNR) no result
2. Hwang/Shubert (BYU) vs. Garcin/Myard(UNR) no result
3. Urbina/Mears (BYU) vs. Kuharszky/Kanzelmeyer (UNR) no result
Wichita State def. BYU, 4-1
March 21, 2008 - Boise, Idaho
1. T. Espirito Santo (WSU) def. J. Sanchez (BYU) 7-5, 6-0
2. T. Shubert (BYU) vs. A. Ballesta (WSU) no result
3. T. Dos Santos (WSU) def. C. Mears (BYU) 6-3, 7-6
4. J. Obrist (WSU) def. D. Hwang (BYU) 6-3, 6-2
5. E. Urbina (BYU) def. A. Chermaci (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. A. Young (BYU) vs. M. Teivans (WSU) no result
1. Sanchez/A. Young (BYU) def. Espirito Santo/Chermaci (WSU) 8-3
2. Dos Santos/Ballesta (WSU) def. Shubert/Hwang (BYU) 8-5
3. Obrist/Gardner (WSU) def. Urbina/Mears (BYU) 8-6
Men Face Nevada at Boise State Invitational
PROVO, Utah (March 19, 208) -- After consecutive weekends at home, the BYU men's tennis team will join seven other teams at the Boise State Spring Break Invitational on Friday and Saturday. Host No. 35 Boise State, along with Ball State, Georgia State, Portland, Nevada, No. 65 Wichita State and Yale, will join the Cougars over the two-day event. BYU is scheduled to face Nevada in the first round.
Western Athletic Conference member Nevada enters this weekend's tournament with a 2-8 record on the season. In their last match, the Wolf Pack fell 6-0 to Mississippi State on March 15.
The Cougars are currently on a four-match winning streak; most recently posting back-to-back wins over Pacific and Portland last Friday. After dropping the doubles point in its first four matches of the season, BYU has turned things around, winning four of its last five.
BYU's match against Nevada will begin at 9 a.m. on Friday at the Crane Creek Country Club, with the winner set to face either Wichita State or Ball State at 1:30 p.m. later that day.
For more information regarding the tournament click here
BOISE STATE SPRING BREAK INVITATIONAL SCHEDULE
Friday, March 21 -- 9 a.m.
Boise State vs. Georgia State -- Appleton Tennis Center
Portland vs. Yale -- Julia Davis Park
Wichita State vs. Ball State -- Boise Racquet and Swim Club
Nevada vs. BYU -- Crane Creek Country Club
Friday, March 21 -- 1:30 p.m.
Main Draw Semifinal 2 -- Appleton Tennis Center
Back Draw Semifinal 1 -- Julia Davis Park
Back Draw Semifinal 2 -- Boise Racquet and Swim Club
Friday, March 21 -- 5 p.m.
Main Draw Semifinal 1 -- Appleton Tennis Center
Saturday, March 22 -- 9 a.m.
Back Draw Finals -- Julia Davis
Main Draw Semifinal Losers -- Appleton Tennis Center
Back Draw Semifinal Losers -- Boise Racquet and Swim Club
Saturday, March 22 -- 12 noon
Main Draw Finals -- Appleton Tennis Center