Netters Just Miss Victory in ITA Kick-Off
LOS -- It was a disappointing day for the No. 43 BYU men’s tennis team, who fell to No. 46 Indiana in a 4-3 heartbreaker at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Friday.
After Indiana secured the doubles point with two 8-4 wins, the teams headed into a rough battle in singles.
No. 110 Evan Urbina beat Jeremy Langer in straight sets on Court 1, putting up the Cougars’ first point of the day (6-4, 6-3). On Court 3, Spencer Smith split sets with Santiago Gruter before taking the match 1-6, 6-1, 6-4. Georgy Batrakov also took down his Indiana opponent, beating Claes Goransson 7-6, 6-4 and giving BYU its three points.
Senior Thomas Shubert was forced to withdraw from his singles match against Josh MacTaggart due to an injury, giving the Hoosiers the point and the victory. The match had gone to a third set before Shubert retired, with MacTaggart only in the lead by one game (6-7, 6-3, 5-4).
The Cougars will play No. 52 San Diego State Saturday at 10 a.m. PT.
No. 43 BYU vs. No. 46 Indiana
1. MacTaggart/Vogl (IU) def. Kawaka/Urbina (BYU) 8-4
2. Gruter/Langer (IU) def. #44 Shubert/Smith (BYU) 8-4
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) vs. Goransson/Juneau (IU) 5-3 susp.
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. #110 Evan Urbina (BYU) def. Jeremy Langer (IU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Thomas Shubert (BYU) 6-7, 6-3, 5-4 ret. (inj)*
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Santiago Gruter (IU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Georgy Batrakov (BYU) def. Claes Goransson (IU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Isade Juneau (IU) def. #88 Patrick Kawka (BYU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Steven Vogl (IU) def. Daniel Hwang (BYU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 6, 2*
Cougars Head Back to L.A. for ITA Kick-Off
PROVO, Utah—Heading back to Los Angeles for the second time in two weeks, the No. 43 BYU men’s tennis team will challenge Indiana at 11 a.m. MT in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
The winner of the match will play the winner of the University of Southern California and San Diego State Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Cougars (2-2) are coming off a rough weekend with losses to No. 6 UCLA and the University of San Diego. The Hoosiers split their doubleheader with a win against Butler and a loss to Kentucky.
Freshman Patrick Kawka sits at No. 88 in the nation in singles and Evan Urbina is No. 110. Two doubles teams from BYU, Spencer Smith and Daniel Hwang are No. 41 and Smith and Thomas Shubert are No. 44.
Next week, the Cougars are back in Provo to take on Montana State Friday at 5:30 p.m.