Indoor Tennis Courts
150 E. Provo UT 84602
PROVO, Utah – The BYU men’s tennis team defeated both Utah State 7-0 and Weber State 6-1 in its first matches of the 2013 season at the Indoor Tennis Courts on Saturday.
“I was really pleased with our performance,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “It was good to have two competitive matches against good solid teams. They came to take it to us and I’m proud of how we defended our home court.”
The Cougars (2-0) first faced off against the Utah State Aggies. The duo of Patrick Kawka and sophomore Francis Sargeant finished the first match of the day as they beat Matt Sweet and Sean Lovesque 8-4.
In singles play, the No. 12 regionally ranked Kawka got the best of Poslusny 6-3, 6-1. Smith also defeated his opponent, Marcus Fritz 6-4, 6-0.
Cullimore, the No. 18 ranked player in the region, topped Peterson 6-1, 6-3. Sargeant won his match against Sweet, 6-2, 6-1 and then Pearce, No. 16 ranked regional player, beat Lovesque 6-1, 6-1.
Newcomer Andrey Goryachkov won his first match as a Cougar. He faced Curran Wearmouth and came out on top, 6-1, 6-2.
After a short break, the Cougars took on the Weber State Wildcats. Again, BYU won eight of the nine matches against its in-state foe.
Most notably, Kawka and Sargeant defeated their doubles opponents, Todd Fought and Sanjay Goswami, 8-1. Kawka also dominated his singles match against Oliver Good, 6-0, 6-2.The Cougars travel to New York next week to take on Fordham and Columbia.
BYU vs. Utah State
1. Poslusny/Fritz (USU) def. Smith/Fillmore (BYU) 8-7 (6)
2. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Loresque/Sweet (USU) 8-4
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Nielsen/Petersen (USU) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Sven Poslusny (USU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-2, 6-1
5. John Pearce (BYU) def. Sean Lovesque (USU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Curran Wearmouth (USU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
BYU vs. Weber State
1. Kawka/Sargeant (BYU) def. Fought/Goswami (WSU) 8-1
2. Smith/Rae (BYU) def. Good/Poitena (WSU) 8-3
3. Cullimore/Pearce (BYU) def. Gewert/Garner (WSU) 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Todd Fought (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Jakub Gewert (WSU) 6-1, 2-2 (Ret.)
4. John Pearce (BYU) def. Sanjay Goswami (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Travis Fillmore (BYU) def. Ciao Poitena (WSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ryan Garner (WSU) def. Scott Bohne (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6
PROVO, Utah – The No. 58 BYU men’s tennis team hosts in-state opponents Utah State and Weber State for its season opener Saturday at noon and 5:30 p.m., respectively, at the Indoor Tennis Courts.
“This year we start out with a bang,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “We don’t normally play this early, but with our schedule this year, I thought it would be helpful to bump up our traditional home opening match. We’re returning every player but one this year, and everybody is healthy and ready to go.”
BYU owns an all-time winning record against both Utah teams. The Cougars have never lost to the Aggies in 48 meetings and are 58-5 against the Wildcats.
The Cougars, who have a 45-5 record at home over the last five years, have three players regionally ranked to start the season. Junior Patrick Kawka ranks No. 12, freshman John Pearce starts at No. 16 and sophomore Keaton Cullimore comes in at No. 18.
Admission is free. Pizza and prizes will be provided, including autographed “Y” logo tennis balls and autographed posters.