USAFA Indoor Tennis Courts
4102 Pinion Dr Air Force Academy CO 80840
BYU dominates Pacific in WCC home win
PROVO, Utah — BYU women’s tennis defeated Pacific 6-1 Friday at the BYU Indoor Tennis Courts.
The win puts the Cougars at 10-14 this season and drops the Tigers to 10-10. BYU has won three of its last four matches and three in a row at home, all have been West Coast Conference wins.
BYU has just one more regular season match remaining, at home against Saint Mary’s tomorrow.
BYU secured the doubles point quickly against Pacific, with Emilee Astle and Madison Smith picking up a 6-0 win first. It was the first time this season that Astle and Smith were paired together in doubles. Bobo Huang and Anastasia Abramyan finished their match shortly after with a 6-1 win. Huang and Abramyan are 11-9 in doubles matches this season and 7-3 in their last 10.
In singles play, Huang picked up the first win, 6-2, 6-0. It was the team-leading 12th singles win this season for Huang, who is a freshman. It was also her fourth consecutive singles win. Abramyan picked up the next win, 6-0, 6-2. She is now 5-5 in the No. 2 position for the cougars this season. Astle picked up the next singles win, 6-1, 6-2, which clinched the team victory for the Cougars. It was Astle’s 10th singles win this season and third in a row. Leah Heimuli battled hard in the No. 1 singles spot but ended up falling ultimately in a second-set tiebreaker to Kara Kosan. That would be the only point of the match for the Tigers. Kara Lin and Xenia De Luna picked up the final two singles wins for the Cougars. Lin is now 11-4 in singles play this season and has won her last four in a row. De Luna is 4-1, with all of her wins coming in the No. 6 spot.
The Cougars and Gaels will face off at 10:30 a.m. MST tomorrow. There will be a special Senior Day presentation before the match to honor BYU’s two seniors: Heimuli and Abramyan.
Tennis Match Results
Pacific vs Brigham Young University Apr 22, 2022 at Provo, Utah
(BYU Indoor Tennis Courts)
Brigham Young University 6, Pacific 1
1. Klara Kosan (PAC) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
2. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. MiaAngelina Ruja (PAC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Z. Clydesdale-Eberle (PAC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Danielle Zamora (PAC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kara Lin (BYU) def. Alexis Sam (PAC) 6-1, 6-3
6. Xenia De Luna (BYU) def. Megan Carmichael (PAC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Bobo Huang/Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Klara Kosan/MiaAngelina Ruja (PAC) 6-1
2. Leah Heimuli/Kara Lin (BYU) vs. Alexis Sam/Maile Brilhante (PAC) 4-2, unfinished
3. Emilee Astle/Madison Smith (BYU) def. Danielle Zamora/Megan Carmichael (PAC) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (3,2,4,1,5,6)